How long after a mom decides to stay home can she start to feel depressed?

Don't get me wrong motherhood is the most wonderful thing a woman can experience but....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Stay active, join some playgroups, meet other SAHM's, find a hobby, art & crafts, daily outings, & get invoved with your community. Good Luck - plus we are always hereblowing kisses 

My4Dragonflies

Answer by My4Dragonflies at 1:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• depends on the mom
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• day one . . .
    Anonymous

• Just get out and meet some people, stay active....that's the secret to a happy SAHM. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• depends! some have a social life and many things to do around town, always something to do in the house and they are content with that. I'm not one of those LOL but if I had a job the paycheck would most likely just pay for childcare (whether it is daycare or a babysitter) and my SO's hours arent always predictable, so if he wasnt home yet and I had to be at work in 5 minutes the excuse of "I'm gonna be late" would get old and I'd lose my job. The thing that "depresses" me the most is lack of socialization although it has gotten better. I just got home from a fun playdate at the park!
    Anonymous

• ive been a stay at home mom for 6 weeks, and i am pretty fucken depressed. i love my son, but..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• If you feel your going to be depressed then DON'T stay home!! I walk my kids, now that they are old enough to walk and play I take them to the park and talk to other moms there. I also play games with my kids at home and when they take naps I clean and do work out videos. When my DH gets home we eat dinner and go for a run together, then we watch movies or play games. My day is so active it flies by(seriously) I'm on here right now b/c my kids are doing puzzles and don't want any help! LOL Being a SAHM is amazing and fun for me, but if you don't think you'll be happy then don't do it!!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 1:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• purpulbutterfly and anon op if your the same person or if you're two different people - responder VasquezFamily is right on all counts - if you want to stay home there's MOPS groups and also

Mother's Center's groups (google both) plus in CM you can program in under find groups and see what groups meet in your area.

If your heart loves your baby and its clear you do cuz your writing in for help here BUT YOUR brain needs more more interaction with the outside world other than being at home indefinitely, that is ok too. You are NOT a bad mom if working outside your home makes you happier than working inside your home. DO WHAT's right for your own family and baby.

I support mothers and babies, kids and all we have to decide and do to raise healthy our families.

Anonymous

• I was a SAHM for 16 months after my 2nd child was born. I was depressed within the first month. I was bored out of my mind.

I've always been busy. In high school, I worked part-time and was in the marching band. I was always on the go.

From the time I graduated college until I had my first child I worked. Heck, I worked full-time while attending college.

Some people need that organized chaos that is the life of a working mother. There is no reason to feel bad about working full-time and being a mother.

In fact, working full-time makes me a better mother and wife. You have to do what's best for you and your family. Don't worry about what anyone tells you is right and wrong. Parenting choices are not one size fits all.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I am right there with OP and purpulbutterfly. I am constantly depressed staying home. It is not easy for me to get out and active beyond our own backyard though. We live so far out in the country that there is no local park or community to get active in. Also, since I got laid off, we can't afford the extra trips for me to take the kids into town more than maybe once every other week, to do all erands and get groceries. like purpulbutterfly said, I love my kids but... there is only so long I can go without face to face Adult interaction (other than DH) before it gets really depressing.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 2:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2009