fasting?

can someone please explain to me when fasting happens...the meaning behind it etc etc.

now is it full out fasting...or you just give up something special. i know one woman who always gave up beef during that time..another who just drank water.......so two different degree's

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It can be giving up anything it is supposed to help you completely focus on God

Anonymous

• Fasting is when you either want to reconnect with god or if you are asking for something. It doesn't have to be food it can be something you do everyday (ie: the internet). Try going one whole day without it and everytime you get the urge to login pray. HTH.
    Anonymous

• You don't have to give up food all together- it could be something special, it could be lunch, - like the above poster wrote- it is to give something up to help you focus on God- I gave up books :) I stopped reading books and whenever I would normally read, I just focused on prayer- it has been life changing!
    Anonymous

• whew giving up the interent...last night it went out and it ook me 3 hrs to fix it...let me tel you i was not happy lol.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• when do you do this? just whenever you want to focus on him or is their a certain time when church's say to do this
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It depends on the religion, like Catholics don't fast they do that ash wednesday thingy(don't know what it's called) but they give up one thing for 40 days I think. Muslims fast during their new year for a month but at night time they can eat, it's just during the day when they can't eat or drink anything or have sex or smoke. Christians do it when ever they feel the need, they don't eat or drink anything (except water) for a week or 2 and all they do is read the bible as much as possible. It's a great way to connect with God and it's also great for your body.
    Anonymous

• fasting does cleanse your body of toxins if you just flush it with water. a nd you'll drop a few lbs
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• How one fast depends on the religion you are part of & now, often your own preference. Some religions fast by not eating during daylight hours, some fast by not eating land based animals, others eat no solids for a set amount of time. Buddhist monks of some sects don't ever eat after a certain time of day (noon I think). Certain Native American groups fast for specific spiritual events, for example a coming of age, and often for the specific goal of having hallucinations or spiritual visions. It seems to be culturally based & a few sociologists have postulated practical reasons the habit of fasting developed, though those take little account of the spiritual benefits.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• i think giving up of something special to you....whether its fasting or giving up material posessesions, can have a powerful affect on anyone
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• During Lent Catholics fast as well as picking something "special" to give up during that time (ei. hubby and I gave up fast food during this past Lent because it's is something we get a lot due to his work hours and is so convenient). From my understanding you can fast through the whole 40 days or just on Fridays. Fridays are also days to abstain from meat during Lent. There are other days of fasting or abstaining from meat as well, like Aug 15 for the Assumption, and your Church will tell you about those special days or you can get a calendar that has all of those days marked.
    Anonymous