How aften do you visit your in laws? Or they visit you?

How far do you live from them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We use to see them every other weekend, but now we live 3 hours away and my DH now has split days off so we never go. We went down in May because my mom threw my son's 2nd b-day party but my in laws only stayed for 10 mins, that was the last we saw of them. It will probably be a few more months before we see them again. They never visit us because they are TOO "busy" to drive and see us!
    Anonymous

• When we were first married we saw them 6-7 times a week, they lived five blocks away. Then they moved about 40 minutes away and we see them about three times a month now. My MIL is angry that we don't want to drive to their house every weekend, but they are the ones who moved, not us. I am happy to have them at our house whenever they like, they just come over very often. They both work within three miles of our house, but don't come over.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We live 3 hrs away, roughly. They come up every couple of months, and we meet them halfway in Orlando fairly regularly to spend the day.

MY family lives 5 hours away and I see them MAYBE 2 times a year.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 1:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• they live about 30 mins or so away from us, but they never visit, never call, never send birthday or holiday greeting cards, but if there is a problem with one of their vehicles, SO is called right away (he's a mechanic). SO doesnt appreciate that so he just stays out of their lives pretty much (not just because of that, but there is other drama as well). I would really like my son to know his grandparents (my folks live many states away....). I have tried calling them to see if we could all get together...really it shouldnt have to be that way. I mean they are family and we shouldnt have to feel "invited" but just knock on the door say HEEEEY! and walk right in...but it just isnt that way with SO's family, or at least I dont feel comfortable doing that since they never call or anything.
    Anonymous

• We actually haven't been to my in-laws house in over 2 years. It just worked out that way that we haven't been there. They live in CA and we live in SC. We've seen them twice so far this year for nearly a week each time and I know they'll be out in September after the baby is born. Then we'll probably see them again around the holidays or just after the first of the year.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My in-laws never come to visit. My MIL has been to my home maybe 4-5 times in the 4 yrs that my DH and I have been together. My SIL lives with us but will be leaving soon as she has contributed nothing more than the prospect of divorce since she has been here. One of my BILs is in prison and the other was recently released and the only time that the one in prison wrote was when he wanted a $20 money order and us to call and tell his girlfriends that he sent their letters to our home and the other only calls when he needs a ride to his PO's office or any other appointments. They are useless and once they are out of our lives we will be the better for it.
    Anonymous

• my SOs parents are divorced, but they both live about 2 hours away in opposite directions. We see his mom atleast twice a month, his dad not so much. His mom is a resturaunt manager so she doesnt get much time off, we usually have the weekends free so we do the traveling! But when she has free time she does come our way. i think i like being the one to travel though, i get away from home, plus we can come back when we feel!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• They live about 10 mins away, we see them usually once a week or so. Sometimes more often.

Answer by missanc at 1:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• holidays, sometimes our kids birthdays, and she lives 10 mins away.....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We live on opposite coasts. I've never met my MIL in person. Last time DH saw her in person was 5 years ago. They speak on the phone once a week or so and have a good relationship, it's just so expensive to travel.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009