Do you think the people should have to pay for Michael Jackson's memorial service?

I've been reading how much Michael Jackson's memorial service cost, and how they are asking for the people to help pitch in to pay for it. I for one am a fan of his music, but however I do not think we the people of any state should have to pay for it. He was rich or use to be, his family is rich let them pay for it....Ca is broke as it is, what made them think they could pay for it? People can't even pay their own bills as it is how can they help for someone's memorial no matter WHO they are....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• California should be thankful did you know that sales in plane tickets, hotel reservations, car rentals, food, restaurants went up as soon as it was known that the memorial was going to be in CA
    Anonymous

• yeah so then they give all that money to the african americans the people who need it most not iran, africa or somewhere. OR give it to the needy foundation or HIV treatment stuff
    Anonymous

• Okay, sales went up but now they are asking for the people of Ca to pay for the memorial. I read last night that taxes might go up in Ca again to help cover the bill. In my OP people of Ca should not have to pay for it.
    Anonymous

• I think MJ's estate should pay to reimburse the state. Looks like there'll be plenty left over after his debts are paid.
    Anonymous

• The people who went to the memorial should have paid at the door. It wasn't a real memorial service, it was an entertainment spectacle and a platform for other entertainers to show off, so let the people who are entertained pay for it. They would surely pay enough per head to defray the costs of the policemen who directed the traffic and the parking and provided security. I think that was the bulk of the costs to the city and the state.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Um NO, never.

If they couldn't pay for the memorial service, then they should have sold tickets or something. The state should never foot the bill for a memorial service unless it is for a state or local government employee or employee's immediate family member.

This is absurd.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well, we didn't ask anyone to help pay for my mom's service and I believe its the family's resp not the tax payers of CA or fans.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 1:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Oh please that entire thing (not the memorial yet the way the city of la in now bitching) is a JOKE, yup thats right a big fat joke, they can ask all they want but the city should have to pay for it. Why? Because they have funds set aside for special events like this, not to mention can you believe how much revenue they just brought in from everyone going all the fans buying thing hotels, rental cars, going out to eat shopping, that gets taxed doesnt? Not to mention the city is stupid you tell me why all the officers that worked that day had to have boxed luches, from Jensens with the closest one being about 50 miles away and spending THOUSANDS of dollars more on it then if they had just gone to Subway for instance.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• NO! I really find it strange that the city of LA did what they did. There have been heads of state that didn't get the attention MJ got and he didn't do anything for humanity except have a talent and keep an uproar around himself. I wonder - did he have any charities he was actively involved in or a cause he helped further? At least there would be that. I think his family should pay the bill just like every other family in the US would have to pay the bill for their family member.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2009