will the catholic church baptise a child if the parents are not both catholic?

ok so im not not 100 percent on this..but if i do join the cath church i would like eto get my daughter baptised. now my husband waas baptised catholic as a child.....but he is not catholic...he could care less anymore. will they still baptise our daughter or would they say no , you both have to be a member of the church.

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They'll do it. You'll have to pledge to raise the child Catholic no matter what. Same thing you sign if you get married there and only one is Catholic - all future children to be raised Catholic no matter what.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• we are already married, but we did not get married in a church......we said one day we will have a big wedding as our sorta reaffirming our vows.....i would like to have it ina church but being that he wont be a member of a church we'll have to see
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I know a lot of Episcopal churches have rules that are quite free, but Catholics are quite strict. I believe both parents have to be active in that parish location. Lots of church websites explain their parish and religion rules. Just call one!!!
    Anonymous

• well we are moving to gerkan in weeks. i gotta wait till we get their to see, and ill only be given a choice of one church on post that is cath.

if we go off post...well , my germa nisnt that good lol. so right onw i just have to wait
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Years ago I couldn't be my cousin's godmother cuz I wasn't Catholic. Five years later when his sister was born rules changed and I was allowed. Sometimes a parent has to be 'accepted' through specific ceremonies of study into that religion before their kids can be baptized in it. Call around for a few opinons to different Catholic churches!!!!
    Anonymous

• Yes they will.
    Anonymous

• thats the thing, i cant really call around lol. moving to germany in 3 weeks. and that post has the daily mass and sunday mass....and a womans catholic group. and its all for the same church.

so i have one choice, if they say no. i can go off post, but ill really have to beef up on my german and my german isnt that great. i just started rosetta stone a few weeks ago lol
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• but ill see when we get their. other than the mass, i think it would be a good idea to be somewhat involved in the womans catholic group, and that might be good for me anyways, i tend to be a hermit and thats a good way to make friends and be involved in your local community.

and ill see from their what they say they can do.

worst case i go anthony......get your hispanic butt back in church rofl. he went to catholic church the entire year he was in iraq....so their has to be SOMETIHNG in him...or else he wouldnt of went for a year.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• generally speaking i think military church's are not as strict as some you might find in the civilian population because they always have a constant changing flow of people and they know especially in other countries, they may be our only option. so i think it will be ok
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• The reason Catholics baptize infants is based on the faith of the child's parents - so that's why one of the parents has to be Catholic and they have to be willing to raise the child in the Catholic faith. Both parents don't have to be - but the non-Catholic parent has to be OK with the child being raised Catholic. Good luck!
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2009