How much clothes do you buy your kids before going back to school?

Our DD is 15 going to be a sophmore and we usually buy he 5 out fits or so but since shes in a tech school for cosmetology were going to end up buying double because she needs a whole different wardrobe for cosmetology. Oh kids!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not much. My kids wear uniforms to school so I only need to replace worn or outgrown bits of it. Last year I had to buy a gym uniform for my middle daughter since it was her first year, some extra socks for the girls to share and that was it. We had enough of everything else to last.
    This year my son needs all new uniforms (he outgrew his and wore out the knees in his gym pants). My oldest needs a new gym shirt (she ripped a huge hole in the front of it) and the girls may need a new jumper this year. We got a bunch handed down to us that were size 6 but they are getting short on the girls. I guess I have to learn to take the hem out on them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My daughter (17) usually gets 8-12 pairs of pants and 15-20 shirts...then some shoes...different styles and types depending on what we buy for clothes...

My son (13) 7-10 pair of pants and about 15 shirts...then I get a break because he only needs 3 different pair of tennis shoes...white, black and brown

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I usually don't buy a whole bunch of clothes at once, or my daughter will wear them all and then not think of them as "new" anymore. i buy a little all along, so she always has something "new" to wear. She may get a complete outfit every three weeks or so, sometimes less, sometimes more depending on sales.

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My ds is in uniforms too. Is only going to first grade so we thought he would still be able to wear all his uniforms from last year, but he hit a growth spurt this summer. So we just bought him all new uniforms. Total he got 5 pairs of shorts, 5 pairs of pants, 5 ss shirts, 5 ls shirts and 1 pair of shoes.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 2:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my daughter is only 5..but so far she has like 20 new shirts..and a couple pairs of pants..but more pants to come..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well my kids are still young but when I was younger my dad would give us a certain amount of money for clothing and other things(except for school supplies) and we would buy as much as we could and that is how much we got. Usually I would get about 10 outfits, 2 pairs of shoes and a lot of accessories!! My brothers would get like 20 outfits and 2 pairs of shoes(boys are cheaper)!
    Anonymous

• We don't buy all new clothes when my girls start school. Perhaps one or two new outfits, but it is so hot when they begin school that they still wear their summer shorts and t-shirts for at least the first month. Then I buy them what they need as we go along, which we do all year long. It's more affordable that way, rather than buying a bunch of clothes all at once.
    I also check over their backpacks, sneakers, shoes, and 3-ring binders. Whatever is worn out, too small, or cannot be reused gets replaced.
    We have a tax free weekend here in VA on school supplies so I take advantage of that because the prices on supplies are still low enough to make a difference. They don't need much anymore so I get the basics, buy extra, and keep it all in a bin. When school starts, they just take what they need and I try to stock it up during the year if there are sales. We also wait on school lists and get only what we have to.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2009