What is the difference between hard and soft water?

I hear this alot and never really paid too much attention to it. Until some one mention something about it.

Help, thanks ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I believe its that hard water has more minerals in it, and so your skin feels dryer, and you get more mineral stains in/around your tub
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• -Hard water is water that contains an appreciative quantity of dissolved minerals (like calcium and magnesium)

-Soft water is treated water in which the only ion is sodium.

As rainwater falls, it is naturally soft. However, as water makes its way through the ground and into our waterways, it picks up minerals like chalk, lime and mostly calcium and magnesium. Since hard water contains essential minerals, it is sometimes the preferred drinking water, not only because of the health benefits, but also the flavor. On the other hand, soft water tastes salty and is sometimes not suitable for drinking.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Yes, hard water has lots of minerals which can be pretty bad for your pipes, leave stains in your toilet and tub. You usually need alot more soap and detergeant to get a good lather with hard water. It dries your skin and hair.

We have a water softener, since we moved here my hair and skin are so much softer and no more spots on my dishes, etc...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Another difference between hard and soft water is that hard water makes soaps and detergents harder to lather up, you get less lather. And soft water makes it feel like you never get the soap completely rinsed off.

Growing up, we had well water and it was hard water. When doing dishes the detergent didn't make much in the way of bubbles.

My mom now has soft water and if I shower or when I wash my hands there, no matter how much I rinse the soap seems like it just doesn't rinse away. I hate it.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009