Death With Dignity Act

I find myself torn on the Death With Dignity Act. I do believe that a person should not have to sit around waiting to die if they have a very very painful terminal illness. However, as a Christian I do believe that suicide is a sin. I know some Christians say that you can ask forgiveness for commiting suicide before you do it, but I'm not sure on that point. However, this story was really touching and I was just wondering how other women feel about it.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/50321722.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is why my husband and I have as part of Living Wills our specific wishes to terminate our lives in a peaceful and dignified manner should we become terminal and and the pain unbearable.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• it would depend on how badly the person was suffereing & if they knew they were going to die. If they are just waiting to die, i don't see a problem with it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• A family friend of ours just spent the last year dying of cancer. It was horrible. She was in agony, and spent her last couple of months in hospice care, doped up on morphine because she couldn't stand the pain. She wasted away into a skeletal figure and didn't even want her friends to come see her that way. It was really pitiful. I know it's an extremely complicated argument, and I know all about the "slippery slopes", but I also know that if that was me instead of her, I would have welcomed a lethal dose of something to end it for me. I would NEVER want to go through what she did. When we put our pets down when they're suffering, we call it the "kind thing" to do. What about when a human is suffering and that human WANTS to end it when there's no hope of recovery? There's a zillion shades of gray.
    Anonymous

• My moms BFF died this year from cancer. It took 3 years to take her life but when it finally did she was down to about 90 lbs. and could barely speak. She was put in hospice care the last 2 weeks and it was basically, keep her comfortable (with morphin) til she passes...It was horrific and I don't wish it on anyone. If she had asked for and received something to bring it on, I could not be upset with her or her family at all....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I just don't know what's right here. I was at the doctor's office yesterday and they had big signs up saying they categorically refuse to have anything to do with it. In many cases of terminal illness I see it as a final kindness when used to relieve terrible suffering. However I also see this as a way for family members and doctors and insurance companies to subtly (or not so subtly) pressure people to basically "hurry up and get it over with so it doesn't cost so much". Not in so many words, but that could get to be the idea. Terminally ill people and the elderly would be *educated* that it was the socially responsible thing to do.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think if someone is terminal and educates him or herself on their options there is no reason something like the Death with Dignity Act shouldn't be one of those options. I was in the room when my uncle passed away. The year prior he was diagnosed with the *return* of brain cancer. Within months he had lost his mobility, his ability to communicate clearly on a consistent basis. He suffered memory loss and the lost other bodily functions we take for granted. He suffered in those last few weeks. If he could have been spared the worst of that - knowing he had already exhausted all other treatment options - it would have been a gift FOR HIM. I get what the opponent quoted in the article is saying. My parents work with a local hospice. Hospice does amazing work - but I don't honestly see how having a choice in *when* when it's clear when is simply a matter of weeks or months is the same as the "cry for help" suicide.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My dad was diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. He started feeling badly and got news the cancer was in all areas of his body. He took my moms vicodin and killed himself. We were devastated but we could not blame him. Liver cancer is very painful like most cancers are and my grandad suffered in constant pain from it for 3 years. My dad was not going out like that. He was a Christian and one sin is not going to keep him out of heaven. He was right with God and in his letter he said he felt peace about his choice to go be with our father.
    Anonymous

• Anon, so sorry to hear about your dad. It is in cases like his and the others above that hve had relatives and friends in so much pain with no possibility of recovery that I think maybe God would be forgiving and understanding. If he loves us like his children, then I know I as a parent would never forsake my kids if they had a painful terminal illness and took their pain away. I would be forgiving, so I would hope that God would also. Thank you for all of your replies.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have worked with too many elderly people who were "waiting" to die and its so sad to see them begging for death to come. I feel when you are comfortable with it then you should be allowed to die if you want to. I actually had one client who i had to take to the hospital to see his wife. She was on a feeding tube and she was begging him to "let her go" I felt so bad for her because she didn't want to be hooked up to machines to live but because she didn't have a DNR her husband was being selfish and making her stay alive so that he wouldn't have to see her die.

If we can make the choice with our pets to "put them out of their misery" then why cant we do it for ourselves?
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I don't know anything about the Death with Dignity Act, but feel very strongly that people should be able to end their lives at their choosing.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2009