Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should this teenage mom do in Texas?

I feel so bad for my friend's daughter she is 18 yrs. old and has a 1 yr. old baby and the dad of the baby is only 16 :(
Yes I young and I know it happens all of the time, My friend said she talked to her daughter about all that stuff and still came out pregnant it all goes in one ear and out the other talking to teenagers they have to go through stuff for them to realize what we adults are tying to say. Anyway the teens got married, now they are seperated (of course) anyway the baby visits the dad when ever he requests it and the mom brings him over (she works, has a car) pretty much has her life straighten out but he doesn't he lives with his parents. Long story short she took the baby to c the dad and now he does not want to give the baby back he was ok at first but now he is different there was word that he might be going to jail later this month I think maybe he is trying to spend alot of time with the baby.?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (7)
  • I would tell her to take it to Family Court. I'm from Texas and I know that they favor the mother in custody/visitation issues. She can call the police if he refuses to give the child back.

    Answer by ArmyWife9-2-08 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • Call the police and get the baby back. If he wants custody of any kind then file it with the court. I would be a little worried about where his head is at in keeping that baby and what he might do.

    Answer by TessLouise at 1:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • She needs to call the cops.

    Answer by feesharose at 1:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • In my experience( in NY not TX so it may be different) she can call the cops but if there is NO custody order then BOTH parents have the same right to the child and the cops cannot do anything about it until there is a custody/visitation that clearly states when each parent is to have the child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • She should call the cops but like anon said they might not be able to do anything if there is no custody agreement. And she should also go to court so she can get full custody and set up visitation for the father to see the child. If he knows he is going to jail then i understand why he dosnt wont to give the child back. Its not a bad thing that he wants to spend as much time with his child before hes not able to anymore.She should also go to the court so she can get divorced and not just seperated. If they are not divorced or at least have the papers for it filed then she wont be able to do anything custody wise till that happens.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • In indiana (from experience) if he has physical custody of the baby and files either legal separation or for divorce he gets to keep physical custody of the child...unless it is fought over in court. I suggest getting the baby back and filing for legal separation (at the least).

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

  • He knew when he did the criminal act what the consequences were, losing time with his baby was one of them. I have no sympathy for ppl like that who do it to themselves then say "let me have more time bc I may be going away". Too bad. If he won't give the child back then call the police. He can add another crime to his profile by keeping her.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.