Advice for taking a 3 month old to the lake/riding on a boat?

My family was invited to go to the lake this weekend. My sister and her family will be going as well, but they have a 3 month old. We will pretty much be on a boat for 3-4 hours if not more. They have a life jacket, sunscreen, and the boat will have a shaded area so the baby won't be in the sun the whole time. My sister wanted to know if any one has any advice about taking the baby to the lake and being on a boat. What did you bring for the baby to sit in/lay on when she was tired of being held? Any other advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 1:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would go and it sounds like she has covered all the bases. Maybe take a bouncy seat with you.

I have gone snowmobiling pregnant , and still ride the 4 wheeler, and I am 39 weeks pregnant. Accidents can happen, but just take proper percautions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would not take a child who couldn't swim onto a lake in any kind of boat.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• As much as you would love to take the baby it is really not a good idea only bc what if...

I remember one winter we drove to Colorado to go see and visit the snow it was nice we live in Tx. anyway I was 6 months preg. at the time we all went snowmobiling I have never gone snowmobiling I thank god we were ok (me and the baby) no one in their right mind should be doing stuff like that I think back and I wish I wouldn't have I guess bc of what if...

well that was 6 yrs. ago and me and my daughter are doing great but if I had to do it all over again I would not do it. So to answer your question I would say no the boat ride is supposed to go fast not slow only at times but I would b afraid the baby might fly off your arms no matter how tight you hold it. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

Why? I mean she will have a life jacket on the entire time (one that rolls the baby on the their back and keeps them on their back) and she will be held for 90% of the time. My son has been on boats all summer long since he was 8 months old. He is now 4 and he is learning how to swim but can't yet. He knows the rules and we have never had a problem.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• LOL, maybe I should mention that this is a pontoon boat. No, it will not go fast enough for the baby to "fly" out of her arms.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• The only thing I would worry about besides drowning.....cuz accidents can happen with or without a life jacket, would be sunburn. I know that you say that they will have sunscreen and the baby will be shaded from direct sunlight. However, please do keep in mind that water reflects sunlight and you can still become seriously burned while out of the direct sunlight. Please watch for signs of dehydration in the heat as well.

If it were me....I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

• The reason I wouldn't do it is because you never know what might happen. I know that is true all the time. You never know when a plane might crash into your house or a car wreck might happen. But you need to have a roof over your head and sometimes you have to ride in a car.

But, you never have to ride in a boat. I wouldn't enjoy myself on a boat with a baby. I would be worried if they needed something or were getting too much sun or heat. I would be worried about the baby falling off of the boat. That is why I wouldn't do it.

casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2009