How would you feel if you family was crying over putting the dog that bit your daughter to sleep?

In March my daughter got bit on her bottom lip by my parents dog while spending the night. It bit her lip wide open and required 30 stitches and the reconstructed the form and all of the lip. They told me they would put it to sleep the next day but by state law it had to be observed for 14day for rabies and kept in the house. So then they say well give it to an older guy no kids to have on his farm that fell thru then they say we are keeping it. Really?! Well my daughter was not going to be there without me and when we did go it was caged. Now they decided that they hate not seeing their granddaughter try to get rid of the dog but no shelter would take him cause he bit. They decided to put him to sleep today and now their crying over it. My dad wrote me a snappy text about it too. I don't know what to say to them other than about time but that seems mean I just said don't be mad at me it was the dog who bit. Also they knew

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 2:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• I remember you posting about this when it happened. I understand that this is their family pet and they should be upset for loosing him, but I suppose I would be more willing to see my grandchildren safe than to keep an aggressive dog. I would just tell your parents that you appreciate them making sacrifices for your daughter. Explain that it means a lot to both you and her. Perhaps you could offer to take your daughter to the shelter or whatever with them to help pick out a new dog? That way you can see how the dog will react to children and hopefully this whole thing will never happen again.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• the dog hated all kids but their own when DD was visiting it should have been in its kennel after all that's why it has one! I am sensitive to the situation but I forgot to add that my daughter never even pet the dog due to its extreme aggression She is two got off the couch walked toward my brother and the dog lunged at her from under the coffee table and bit face. Also they had no home owners insurance so I payed for it all.
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 2:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would be very upset about the whole situation, but if I was you I would just let it go with your parents after all it's there pet, I would just let them put it to sleep and and move on, at least they agreed to put it to sleep so thats a plus. I hope your baby will be ok
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have a dog that was abused (before I got it) by small children, and now is child-aggressive. Anytime ANY child is near she is either on a short leash or in her kennel. I would never allow a child to play near her, knowing how aggressive (and fearful) she is. I have also put her through rigorous training to eliminate the worst of the behavior. I think it is very irresponsible (on the owner's part) to know that the dog behaves this way and still allow it to be around children. They should NOT have allowed the dog near her unleashed, and now are paying the consequences for that action. Its sad that the dog is having to pay for the sins of the owner, but I would not let them guilt trip you about the decision. I am fully aware as a responsible pet owner what could happen should my dog get loose, and I take all steps possible to prevent this. They should have done the same.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• To be honest I see both sides. I wish there was a better solution, like sending the dog off to some farm or something where he wouldn't harm kids. Be a little patient with your parents, they have to kill their beloved pet. I blame them, not the dog...but regardless. Its a hard situation for everyone.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My cousin got bit by her family dog when she ws three. She had to have like 250 stitches, because it bit the top of her head and ripped quit a bit of skin off of her face. It was a retired police dog, and her father was a police officer, well he went inside, got his gun, and shot the dog. And I have to say if ANY dog bit my son, I would shoot it, as unhumane as that sounds, and I do not blame you for feeling the dog should be put down, and for not feeling bad about it.
    lilmama31709

Answer by lilmama31709 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• They do have a right to be sad that their pet was put down but they should NOT blame you for it. They need to remember the dog hated kids and was aggressive and should not have been loose when your daughter was over and they are very lucky your daughter was not hurt worse by that dog. I hope your daughter will be ok.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I agree with gramsmom. I totally understand why you want it done, but I can also understand their being upset. Aggressive or not, they do love the dog, and it is a living creature, so of course, it is going to hurt them to put it down. I would just be glad they are finally doing what needs to be done, and like someone else said, offer to let your daughter help them pick out a new pet that won't be so aggressive. Other than that, I'd just let it go unless they keep bringing it up. If they keep bringing it up, then just tell them that you're sorry, but you are more concerned about your daughter and her safety than the dog.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• in the end they decided to put the dog down so they shouldn't be mad at you and like you said their dog was the one who bit your daughter. at her age no matter what she did she should not be held responsible for it. they are just going through the pain of having to do this to their beloved dog. i just lost mine and it hurt so bad. although for them to blame you is not right. it's either they grandaughter is safe or not. they made the right choice if in the end there was no other option.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• This is a tough situation. I truly love my pets as children, but humans come first. If a dog was so aggressive they should under NO CIRCUMSTANCES be around people or kids. Sorry the dog is dangerous and needs to be put down. I agree that you should not go over there until after it happens. Maybe since your dad is so upset, send him a picture of your daughter's injuries to help him justify to himself why he is doing it and why it is the right thing. You are not just asking them to protect your daughter and other kids, you are asking them to KILL their "baby". That has got to be very hard. Patience and compassion all around. I AM SO SORRY YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THIS AND FOR YOUR DAUGHTER. Biting dogs do not belong.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2009