New report finds benefits in moving away from meat; here are the first steps to take.

A new position statement by the American Dietetic Association (ADA) underscores the benefits of a vegetarian diet, and comes on the heels of other reports linking plant-based diets to longer life and better health. In the statement, the ADA notes that vegetarian diets are often associated with health benefits such as lower cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and lower risks for heart disease, diabetes, and hypertension. Vegetarians also have lower cancer rates. Studies reported on by Rodale.com in the past few months have linked meat-eating to a higher risk of vision loss and lung cancer, and found that eating large amounts of red meat raises overall risk of death. Other recent reports have identified meat production as an important contributor to global warming.

Copy and paste this link for more info and recipes: http://www.rodale.com/summer-vegetarian-recipes?cm_mmc=DailyNewsNL-_-2009_07_09-_-Top5-_-NA

Asked by rkoloms at 2:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I just wanted to thank the original poster, for sharing this message. Not everyone researches a vegetarian diet, and very often the messages that are given by the gov't, medical experts and nutritionists about vegetarian diets are mixed. I am not a vegetarian, (but would like to be) however, I do try to limit the meats and meat products in my families diet for health reasons. Most of us were taught however that a healthy diet includes meat protein.....so it isn't OBVIOUS to everyone, and generally the way to share good information is in a positive way. Thanks again to rkoloms for your post.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• And the award for stating the obvious goes to...

Haven't the ADA been touting veg*an diets for quite a while now? Isn't it kind of common sense that eating veggies is better for you that eating dead bodies anyway? Eat little or no cholesterol, have lower cholesterol. Yep, that's some revolutionary research right there!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• DO YOU KNOW WHY ALL THE VEGETARIANS ON CAFEMOM ARE SUCH BITCHES??

Because they are hungry...

FEED THEM... And they stand a good chance of becoming alot happier.
    Anonymous

• I will never give up meat!!! Wait a few years and there will be another study that says meat is necessary. I eat what I want but in moderation. A well balanced diet with a wide variety of foods is fine with me. But thanks for the info!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• you do know that there was a report also that vegitaran diets cause problems with weak bones
    what is with you tring to get everyone to live as you
    you have some of the meanest answers and are just plan bossy
    if you dont like how others live then dont answer questions
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Is that you Mrs. Owen?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2009