How long does punishment last in your house?

My son is 6 years old. If he was punished (toys taken away, sat in room for the whole evening until bedtime, etc.) for misbehaving in camp yesterday and then had a really good day today...how long should punishment last? Should he come home and still be on punishment. I'm considering his age as a factor. So please keep his age in mind when answering. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, at that age one day is enough. Punishment should fit the crime.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 5 and after an afternoon, we lift the punishment. It shouldn't carry on to the next day, they are still young and a punishment that long won't be as effective. Besides, if he had a really good day today...you can use that as a positive reinforcement, "Since you did so good at camp today...." type of thing. Good luck.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 2:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• all of the above
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well usually they last one minute for how old they are for example your son is 6 so six minutes. But mine are getting old enough to ground from the T.V. and/or the computer and those last for about a day unless it's grades then they get grounded until they show improvement. I think maybe if he had a good day today then he deserves to have privileges again because positive reinforcement is another way of encouraging good behavior

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• OP Here. Thanks ladies. I agree with you all..just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being a weak mommy. lol
    Anonymous

• I believe the punishment should fit the crime, but I also have a rule that if they have to go time out, then they get no treats or dessert that day. The main thing we do is follow through, like we will take away a favorite toy for the day, and if the behavior is better the following day, then the girls get it back.
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It depends on the crime and the kid. My dd used to get in trouble a lot and putting her on punishement for over night never worked. She would just go back to the same behavior doing the same things she got in trouble for. By age 7 she was getting grounded for a week. Now at almost 8 I haven't had to punish her for a few months.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my step daughter (9) lied and was grounded until she told the truth
    she lasted 24 hours with the ridiculous lie and when she came clean , it was funny, she told the truth and was amazed that dad and I said that yes, we already knew.

guess you had to be there (LOL)
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2009