What Should I Do?

My son just had a birthday yesterday and he just turned 3 and his bi local father showed up and he left me and our son back when our son was 6 months just cause he wanted to go back to his old life with drinking and drugs but now after seeing our son yesterday he wants shared custody and I don't know if I shouls let him since he does drinking and drugs well I know he still drinks cause I saw him drinking with some of the other parents yesterday at my sons birthday party but I don't know if he is still doing drugs.

s17mama

Asked by s17mama at 2:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Take it to court, they'll find out!!
    Anonymous

• Maybe you should allow visits, but not shared custody, if he wants to see hi son, let him, but for your sons sake, ease into it, make sure it's a saf environment for your son!
    lilmama31709

Answer by lilmama31709 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would be careful since your son really don't know him well. I would allow visits and see how that goes, but probably not let him take your son anywhere by himself. There have been lots of cases where people have taken their kids on visits and the custodial parent reported the kid missing and some had been found in cars outside drug houses while the visiting parent was inside using drugs and partying. Not trying to scare you, but just be careful. Depending on the type of drugs he's doing, he might put your son at risk just to do drugs.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 3:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Go to court or let him take you! Dont let your son go with out court orders please cause your his dad might keep him and it wont be kidnapping with out proper court papers. Tell him ok if you ready now to be his dad then we must go to court. I dont want any fights about it and he needs a father. If he serious then he will say ok if not and just wants him when he wants him he not serious he just might have felt guilty for not being around his son. Good luck!
    leovirgo_mom3

Answer by leovirgo_mom3 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My dad is saying to find out what his game is cause why come back now and ask for shared custody and that I should let him have any custody at all cause if he is still doing drugs he could sell the kid for drugs.
    s17mama

Answer by s17mama at 8:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009