How should I price the following items for a garage sale?

(Everything negotiable)
Beanie Babies - I'm thinking $6 each
Handmade Smocked Dresses never worn or worn once
Dr. Seuss Collectible Retired Hallmark Figurines
Daniel Radcliffe autographed picture w/replica wand in display case
Harry Potter collectibles
Magic the Gathering Cards - most in new condition
Pokemon cards
American Girl stuff

Thanks

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Beanie Babies 1$ each, I'd never pay more than that!
    Handmade dresses, I would hang up and write a sign for them...probably 10 to 14$ if it's like an at-home business type of thing. But if it's just a dress you bought and don't make personally as a business, you're only gonna get tops 5$.
    Dr. Seuss Collectible Retired Hallmark Figurines (idk what these look like or cost, but maybe 5-10$ each? and super collectible/expensive ones 15$),
    Daniel Radcliffe autographed picture w/replica wand in display case (30$?)obo
    Harry Potter collectibles (not enough info) but 2$ each or therabouts
    Magic the Gathering Cards - most in new condition (Idk what this is). 2$
    Pokemon cards (25 cents)
    American Girl stuff

bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 3:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I never think people pay alot at garage sales. If you are hoping to get a decent amount out of it you would have more luck putting it on ebay to reach the right audience. JMO
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Beanie babies, are they dirty? I'd say $3

Smocked dress, $14

Dr Seuss $20

Daniel Collectible $5

Harry potter $8

Magic $3

Pokemon $2

American girl stuff? Ummm like $5 for everything

Anonymous

• General rule of thumb on garage sale is charging about 25% of what it cost new.
    Anonymous

• In this economy people go to garage sales to find a good deal for the cheapest price, like ria7 said I would put them on ebay and you might get more then you ever would at a yard sale
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Beanie babies aren't worth anything anymore. If you really want to get rid of them-I would say 50 cents a piece. There are always tons of those at goodwill.

if you have american girl stuff-check out ebay first. You might be able to get more for your money on their because it is a larger audience for auctions and that stuff sells very well.

Everything else-well, I would recommend marking down and taking offers. people who yard sale these days aren't going to buy overpriced stuff.
    Anonymous

• I would sell them on Ebay, you will probably get a lot more for them on there than you would at a yard sale.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would Ebay as well. Some of these items are collectibles and I personally believe that Ebay would be better for getting top-dollar, as you would have a larger audience of folks that are looking for just these types of items.

When you do your research on Ebay....do a search for each type of item based on completed auctions. This way you can see what the items have actually sold for in the recent history and start your pricing in line with this to maximize the opportunity for a successful sale.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 3:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• American girl stuff: dolls in good condition: 15$? Dresses: 4$

bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 3:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'll give you an idea of what we do at gsales we have or seen in our area:
    mugs 10cents to 75 cents each
    books 25 cents to 50cents each
    clothing, I've seen 25 cents on up to 2$ each. Higher end good condition would be 2 or 3$ each. No one is gonna pay more than that unless it's a leather jacket or something then 10$ Possibly 15$ and then let them "negotiate" down with you. So always mark slightly up and let the customers negotiate, but not too high, or they will leave.

Best thing to do at a g sale is to have good signs and posted everywhere with arrows. Also organize it well, have signs saying what size clothes are, boxes, fold everything, lots of tables with it organized, stuff to hang up, display good stuff out front, etc. An ad on craigslist will be helpful or the newspaper if you like.

Used furniture 10 to 75$
    Old rugs won't get much 10$ or less, used workout equipment needs to be under 30$.
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 3:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2009