Is swallowing gum really bad for kids??

I have heard that swallowing gum can be really bad for your digestive system. Is this true?? My son is almost 4 and has just started chewing gum every once in a while and he will sometimes swallow it. I tell him if he swallows the gum he doesn't get anymore so he usually doesn't but is it hurting him any the times that he does?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's bad for anyone. It can stick to your stomach and intestines.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• "Chewing" the gum is more harmful to your teeth and jaws than "swallowing" the gum is to your stomach or digestive system.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I used to swallow gum all the time as a kid, but accidentally, so don't freak out if it is done occasionally, but tell the children to not swallow gum because it could make their tummy hurt. I try to come up with reasonable reasons why children should not do something because I think it helps them learn cause and effect and consequences for their actions.
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I use to swallow my gum all the time, most of the time i did it to get a reaction from my parents cuz they made such a big deal about it, and i thought it was funny. It never killed me, im perfectly heathly. Some people say when you swallow gum it sticks in your stomach i dont think thats true. I never had stomach aches, or anything, it comes out the same way everything else you swallow does.... id know from experiance! I think its just one of those kind of things teachers and grandmas tell kids to scare them. So i really wouldnt worry about it.
    holly082290

Answer by holly082290 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2009