Questions on this new bill on health care

Obama wants to fix our health care... this is awesome. BUT what is it going to do to the paychecks of those who have gone to college? Many of us college students are worried that we will get a huge pay cut.
Does anyone have any information on how this is going to effect the future of health care employees?

Momma_Halo

Asked by Momma_Halo at 3:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Momma--

I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Are you asking if when you are done with your college education (presumably in the health care field), that your salary will either be capped or valued less because of ObamaCare?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would imagine salary caps are going to happen. To cut costs we have to make sure all those evil rich doctors and nurses don't make more money than everyone else.
    Anonymous

• Yes because they do not deserve to make any real profit while trying to pay for the education they recieved.By the way alot pay for that well into their 40's before it is paid off.Not to mention all they have to spend on malpractice crap.No some seem to think they should provide care for FREE.They do not need to make a living and how dare them want to live well off for shame on them SHEESH.
    Anonymous

• Well to Lori we were told that when they do a Universal health care we are given a set amount and we should deal with it. I am going to college to better my families life and to do something I love to do.
    I am not going to be a rich doctor (by the way the ones who are "rich" are specialty doctors and most likely not what I am going for). I want to go for my Radiology degree but I am getting my BA in Health Care Administration.
    My worry is I am going to get out of college and go straight back to minimum wage which is what going to college moves you away from. I mean I am spending 60,000 dollars on health care courses and I hope that I am going to be making at least 12-15 dollars an hour. Not 6 dollars an hour.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 3:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Momma, it depends the route this bill truly takes... It's so up in the air now.... UHC looks to be off the table.. (yay) but we aren't sure the details of the new alternative...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• momma

I don't know what ObamaCare will do to NON-Physician salaries and whether they will be capped or not. What I can surmise is that with ObamaCare private insurance companies will either go out of business, or limit what benefits they'll cover, or reduce reimbursement rates, leading to physicians NOT accepting some health plans, if any at all. Only those who can afford to pay out of pocket or for their OWN private individual or family plan will be seen. 

I worked in several health related industries for a number of years from entry level to facility director. WHERE you work will give you a good idea of your salary and career potential. Upscale PRIVATE facilities are likely to pay more than PUBLIC facilities--but you have to be the best of the best! However a small private facility may not have the resources of say a large regional hospital/facility.

Continued

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree%3DBachelor_of_Science_%28BS%252FBSc%252FSB%29%2C_Health_Care_Administration/Salary

IF I were you I would get your foot in the door while you are in school making personal connections and getting some experience.  The job market is VERY competitive right now, you need to be able to sell yourself as the "best of the best!"

I would apply to upscale private facilities and large regional centers.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Hmmm I will start doing that. I am starting out raw right now. I have no experience due to some past problems with abuse. And I am trying to dig myself out and with no luck. So I am doing volunteer jobs at the moment.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 5:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Momma,

Congrats on getting out and movin up! You are truly amazing!

Don't forget YOU have an option when it comes to the new health care legislation- read the bills on the table, and if they are going to be unfair, WRITE YOUR REPS!

Healthcare is a big issue right now, but that doesn't mean we have to take what they give us and like it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It's pretty scary out there right now for all job seekers. As far as health care, the only people actually making $$ are insurance companies. My mom works in hospital administration and they are not meeting their budgets at all. They are close to insolvent even though the Hospital she works at has a national reputation. (It is a non-profit teaching hospital) Fixing heathcare is not all about giving freeloaders free healthcare and screwing the taxpayers over. It's about making sure care providers are able to do their jobs, and facilities get enough money to reach their budgets.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009