Akron family attacked by teen mob

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/50172282.html

Have you seen this? Was it a "hate crime"? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

• and so it begins.I bet anything it is happening more then ends up getting attention too.We are doomed to repeat history but the tables have turned.
    Anonymous

• If it was white kids doing this to a black family it would have been called a hate crime immediately. Where is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson they should be out condemning this stuff. Racism is apparently only bad when it is white on black violence to them I guess.

I was beat and sexually assualted during the LA riots my dad was beaten and forced to watch. Never saw our story on the news. The men involved got slaps on the wrist never served any time. They laughed and licked their lips as they left the courtroom. Their attorney had the gall to say we should have known better to be in that part of town. We were trying to leave when the riots happened we owned property there and were showing it to someone that wanted to buy it. Not many were charged or forced to pay for what they did. I reckon had it been white people doing this there would have been massive arrests and many convictions. We are screwed up right now.
    Anonymous

• until they find the guys they can't say if it's a racist thing or not. Who knows if what they are saying is true, I hope it is true and I hope they find the guys. When I say if what they are saying is true I mean if it were black guys, it could have been something else and they were scarred so they said it was black guys. As the investigation continues and they find the guys and they are black I hope they go down as being racist and get as much time as they're suppose to! This is a horrible thing to still be going on in America! One thing I want to know is if one of the friends of the Marshall family had said something that day to some black kids. the fight was against his friends, and he went to help his friends out and so on and so forth, so maybe it had nothing to do with them but his friends. There wasn't very much detail so we wont know until more info comes along!!
    Anonymous

• I live in Ohio and I haven't heard of that story. Let me just say, if that was a black family attacked like that they wouldn't have wasted any time saying it was a hate crime. So sad but true.

Anonymous

• I bring this up often...look up the story here in Knoxville a few yrs ago ..Christopher Newsome and his fiancee...THAT was not even labled a "hate crime"
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Welcome to America....sighs.... I see that as a hate crime... especially when they chanted this is a blacks world. I love african americans I know a few but this is horrible, what are these teens being taught at home. Makes you wonder.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Sounds like it could fit either a hate crime/gang activity or both. Any crime that happens to victims because of race, sexual orientation, religious affilliation, or national background should be considered a hate crime. So in my book this poor family were victims of a hate crime and I'm a woman of color.

"Racism is apparently only bad when it is white on black violence to them I guess." ANON :37

Not all black people or people of color don't believe you have to look like them to have a hate crime committed against you. Racism exist from all angles to all groups of people.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It will not be labelled a hate crime. Black on white crimes are only rarely labelled hate crimes. Regardless of circumstance. It will also not get widespread media coverage, for the same reason.
    Anonymous

• I was born and lived in the Akron/Portage Lakes area till I was in middle school. Many family still reside there. Racial conflicts are not new to the area...This is sad. If they are to have 'hate crimes' in this nation. THIS is a perfect example. But alas, Al Sharpton does not see it this way, I am sure.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009