• In the Spotlight:

I have a 6 yr old son who is developmentally delayed with autistic tendencies. I'm getting ready to start him on the ADHD/ Autism diet and am interested in some feedback.

lorindajen

Asked by lorindajen at 3:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Never knew there was an ADHD/Autism diet. Especially since they are two different things which have to be handled differently.
    Anonymous

• Are you talking about the gf cf diet? I have not tried it with my son so I don't know how well it works. Have you posted this in some of the Autism groups? I am sure some of them would be able to tell you more about it and if it worked for them. Good luck.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Which diet are you referring to, as there are several (GFCF, Feingold, Specific Carbohydrate, etc.)?

We have done a combo of GFCF, plus removal of other problem foods, all natural, zero artificial additives of any kind including colorings & flavorings, plus avoidance of any chemical contaminants like pesticides.

We have been doing this for 7 years or so and the results have been good for both his physical health & his behaviors.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We currently have my son on the gfcf diet, and it is working. His eye contact is now 100%, his tantrums disappeared, his concentration is better, and he doesn't become mesmerized by the tv and spinning objects. He is now up to a 4 word vocab and can follow a few one and two step commands, but we are going to try the simple carb diet and see if that'll help with his speech. We also have him on multi vit, cal/mag, cod liver oil, zinc, fiber, probiotics, and enzymes.

A great book that I bought is "The Kid-Friendly ADHD and Autism Cookbook." It is helpful.
    M_May-Rafferty

Answer by M_May-Rafferty at 1:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Some do well and some do not. The only way to find out how your child specifically will take to it is to try it. And while ADHD and autism are two different diagnosis' one of my kids has both so they can go hand in hand. Of my three with autism none of them were able to do the diet. And after a month of trying there was no significant difference. However my best friend has seen worlds of improvement with her child so give it a try. At least two months.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I have two children with mild autism, and I tried the GFCF diet for 8 months with my now 7 1/2 year old when he was 3 - 3 years 8 months. I was a SAHM and had all the time in the world to follow the diet to the letter.

It is expensive (having to buy special and organic ingredients), it is time consuming (make many things from scratch), and in the case of my older son, made him an INCREDIBLY picky eater--as I eliminated all of his favorite foods. I was very upset to learn that after 8 months on the diet the lab where I sent my sons blood, urine and stool samples that told me he was allergic to some 40 different foods (including foods he had never had), wasn't true! The skin allergy test performed by our local allergist ruled out ALL food allergies.

And his speech and behaviors did NOT improve. Our hard work, Interventions and special education preschools are what got him to talk, read, write, focus and behave!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My daughter was on the gfcf diet for almost 2 years, with enzymes and the diet, and then only the enzymes for the last year. She is back on a normal diet after doing well on the diet. She made most of her progress the first 6 months. She is still on the spectrum, but much better.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 10:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2009