How much should teachers get paid?

We all talk about how underpaid teachers are. What do you think the ideal slary would be for a first year teacher right out of college and one who has taught for 10-15 years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• a lot more than they do. of course the actual number depends on where you live.

im a substitute teacher. if someone tells you teachers have it easy they are stupid, plain as that. as a sub i see first hand what teachers do everyday. they have to deal w/ a handful of kids whose parents have raised them to be little ass-holes, bosses who care only about the school's budget & test scores, & parents who think their jerk kid can do no evil. all while trying to teach your bratty kids basic life info. as a sub i worked 7am-3am & that entire time is with students (minus 30 min lunch). if i had to grade papers & come up w/ ways to teach things id be there till 5 easily, not to mention id have to get to school by 6 am.

i think teachers should at LEAST make the avg income of the area. maybe a little less to start & a little more by tenure.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Much more than they do! Afterall they are helping to mold our children as well. I live in CT so I might be a bit higher than others, but I would say $60,000 out of college and $85,000 after 10 years or so.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Ok this is what I think, Just my Opinion!!!
    Teachers should get paid a 6 figure and the board should get paid like the teachers do NOW, after all the teachers are the ones TEACHING! And I think teachers should have quotas to make such as if their students do well on the test then they get bonuses(and no I don't mean giving out A's) but actual test to show the children are learning(not giving answers either) also if the teachers children don't do good then they don't get a bonus and they have to go to special training and if after 3 years their children they teach still are not doing good then they get fired. I'm tired of these teachers having contracts that they can stay for 10 years, if they're bad teachers then they shouldn't be teaching!! This is HOW it SHOULD be! It makes since to me!!
    Anonymous

• Right out of college 30k, and a raise of 3% if they do well until they cap out at 60k. I don't think they should get paid as much only because they do not work FT in the summer when most others do. Also depending on the grade. Teachers get off work earlier then those who work past 5pm.
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:01, Your ignorance is really showing. No, teachers do not work full time in the summer, however, a teacher may get to leave at 3:30 but that does not mean they are not working. Many teachers will work at school until 4 or 5 and then go home and stay up until mid-night to get papers graded and to work on lesson plans. I know many teachers who easily put in 60-70 work weeks during the school year.

To the OP- I agree with kboney29 and the anon. poster below her.
    Anonymous

• Just because a teacher stops interacting with the class before 5pm doesn't mean that they've stopped working or that their day is done. No, when do you think the prepare for the next day's lesson? grade papers and projects? clean and keep up with the classroom itself? what about those after school activities where it is mandatory that teachers attend? the ones that don't end until 8pm or later?

I'm not sure about their saleries in terms of numbers but I do believe they should get paid more what the average does here in MD, which can be as little as 23,000 for a teacher fresh out of college.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Teachers should be paid much more than they are. They should also get raises based on year-end reviews. The year-end reviews should include surveys of the students they taught that year and the parents of those students. I have always had the highest respect for teachers and they wear many more hats than just as a teacher. They are teacher, counselor, tutor, advisor. Just like a mother's job, the list could go on and on. I tip my hat to anyone who can do the job and do it well. In addition to the hours put in with lesson plans and paper grading the really good teachers (especially in higher grades) have to do research on the subject matter and read all the books they assign the students. The thanks most of these teachers get is being yelled at for giving a kid who isn't putting in the effort a bad grade. Most parents don't understand the teacher's side of the story.
    maryleo9

Answer by maryleo9 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• anon 4:01 - you are VERY ignorant. I bet you've never stood in front of a classroom of students staring at you all day and are responsible for say, 25-30 kids at one time - ALL BY YOURSELF. Gotta go pee? too bad! wait until the bell - race down the hallway and wait in line with the rest of the students. only to race back and beat the next group of kids into your class.

Can you memorize 130-150 student's names, performance, strengths, weaknesses, extra-curricular activities, home-life, etc, and individualize EVERY one of those children? Can you prepare, educate, and grade curriculum for each student? Can you test, make-up test, listen to excuses, deal with at least 300 parents????

You have no idea. Teachers should get paid minimum 100K to start, however I also believe that most teachers should have a Master's degree. A degree in the Field of study to master the subject and a master's degree in actual teaching.

cont
    Anonymous

• No clue. Teachers know going in the pay is not great. They can simply choose a different career field. In my area teachers make 35-40k you can buy a home and live on that salary. I think a livable wage should be offered depending on the area.

Anonymous

• Teachers are at school well BEFORE 7:00am and do not leave until sometimes 4:00pm. That alone is a 9 hour day. Most good teachers are involved in school activities after school - like student group sponsors, yearbook, clubs, coaching sports, etc. That doesn't put them home until 5 or 6 pm. just in time to deal with their OWN families, put their OWN kids to bed, then GRADE PAPERS and plan for 'their kids'.

Also, school bureaucracies are so bad that simple tasks for teachers require ENDLESS paperwork and red tape procedures for the school records - grades, writing up students, calling parents, attendance, etc.... add time for that and you've covered the whole 'summer off' excuse.

I WISH that everyone in this world would take a 'teaching' job for a month. MANY would drop within the first 2 days!!!!

But, remember little Johnny failed his test. Let's blame the teacher that makes $28K/year!!!
    Anonymous