Breech baby.. not pregnant right now but curious, are c-sections mandatory or just strongly suggested?

Do hospitals make you have a c section if the baby is breech? I'm confused! But I've never given birth in a hospital. My breech baby was born after only ten minutes of hard labor, at home alone before the paramedics even got there. My roommate was the only other person there, (awake, my son slept through it all) and I gave birth standing up in the tub. She broke my water with her foot, and had an arm stuck up with her head, but all I had to do was stay calm and pull the arm down, she was born healthy and fine. The ambulance people didn't even make me go to the hospital they said she and I were perfectly healthy and they left. So I'm just curious, is it just strongly suggested or mandatory? I can see how breech could have the possibility of being dangerous but from what I've heard c sections aren't better.

chiigirl

Asked by chiigirl at 3:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on your provider. Some consider it mandatory to have a C-section, others are ok with attempting a vaginal delivery.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think it depends on your doctor and the hospital. You have the right to demand good care, and if you want the doc to, they should try to turn your baby. That will be painful, and they can only do it before you've dilated to a certain point. If they can't get the baby to turn, then yes, they will do a c-section. My sister had a baby breech, early and FAST. There wasn't time to turn him, or do a c-section. He just came out, butt first. He had to stay in the NICU for 10 days, but got to go home after that. That's amazing that you were able to birth at home and not have trouble! WOW! You are very blessed.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It depends on where you live! Here breech vaginal birth is done all the time, its considered a variation of normal. In the US you will have a very hard time if you want to birth a breech baby vaginally in a hospital. Your baby was better off at home that he/she would have been in hospital, breech birth means hands off! OB's are not trained in breech vaginal birth at all so i think it would even be unsafe to attempt it if you are using an OB.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• like the other moms are saying, it really depends.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• it depends. if you go to an ob/gyn, you'll more than likely have a c/s. they're not trained anymore on how to catch babies that are breech.
    if you see a MW, most MW will allow you to have a vaginal breech birth. i would recommend seeing a MW next time, or go UC again (even though it sounds like it was by accident the 1st time).
    sounds like you did a VERY awesome job by yourself!!!! kudos!
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 5:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009