Lifting!!

So today I was rearranging my room and moved my bed...I had my 8 year old brother help but still wasn't much help....after I moved it I got scared...I'm 23 weeks pregnant...I didn't really think about it before...I had cramps but it was just because I need to relax...I felt the baby kick a few time after...but I'm still scared..Should I be? Once I sat down the cramps went away

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Those cramps may have been contractions...which by the way aren't "painless". But the most worrying I would do over lifting is how bad of a burden your back is taking. I started getting my first signs of Sciatica around 18 weeks prego when I carried a toddler (about 25 lbs) a few blocks in the city. Now I've got it bad and every few days I have to stretch, and use a hot towel on my back all of the time. Drinking lot's of water and laying on your side helps ease those contractions. Next time you feel the "cramps" push on your uterus to see if it's an internal cramp or just Braxton Hicks.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 6:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• pay attention to your cramps, and watch for bleeding. as long as you dont bleed and the cramps subside you should be fine
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You probably have nothing to worry about. You're not supossed to lift because it's bad for your back, not necessarily for the baby.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My doctor told me that lifting is dangerous in the third trimester especially bc it can cramp the baby up, and cause him to go into fetal distress, and possibly have the cord wrapped around his neck. However, you are not far enough along to have that be a major concern. I agree with PP, pay attention to the cramps and go immediately to the doctor or ER if you start bleeding. Rest, put your feet up, drink lots of water and you should be fine! Lifting limits vary from woman to woman, but mainly you shouldn't lift anything that can strain you. If you are straining, then you need to let someone else do it! Good luck! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2009