my son has adhd and i want to take him off meds. loosing a lot of weight does any one know how much of a dosage of fish oil i can give him his weight is 53pounds age 7 please help

horselover2

Asked by horselover2 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 5 & 8 yr olds take the same fish oil I do. Naturemade, 1200mg fish oil capsules. They are a little big, but my kids swallow them with no problem. If you freeze them first, they go down easier and they don't give you the fishy burps.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm assuming you want to know because of the Omega 3. If that's the case they do make omega 3 supplements for kids. My dd is on one, she is borderline adhd and it does make a difference. You can check a natural foods store or a vitamin store. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I didn't know that could help w/adhd. Howlong was it until you saw a difference?
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• if you haven't done so already, try a gf/cf diet with no artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors. Just try to get back to nature with your eating(no processed foods). Also remember that people with adhd learn differently, `try to find ways to help him learn while moving(be it doing multiplication tables while jump roping, or reading and pacing).
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My son has been on ADHD meds for about 4 years now and I tried the suggestions from Arisce and they don't work. Kids can't jump rope in class or pace while reading in class, that disrupts the rest of the class. I fought my sons doc for 2 years before putting him on meds. I am so glad that I did, his grades went from D's and F's to honor roll. His self esteem soared and he thanked me for putting him on meds because he could concentrate and keep up with his class. Yes, he had issues with his appetite but that went away once we started him on Vyvanse. Sometimes, the meds are worth the side affects that go away over time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My son has been on adderall xr for 6 years now. He lost weight when he first started. But now he eats like a pig. He eats a huge breakfast before the meds and a huge dinner when they wear off. And he continuously eats on weekends when he doesn't take the meds at all. If fish oil works, then definitely go for it. In my case, it didn't. But if it doesn't work and you decided to try meds again.. just feed him before and after meds and try giving him pediasure or ensure as a supplemental shake.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 11:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• the Nordic Naturals kids fishoil have the dosage on the bottle. Fish oil helped my daughter tremendously with her attention issues. My husband (ADD/ADHD, diagnosed as an adult) works with a therapist who has helped him use the ADD/ADHD to his advantage.
    A clean diet is incredibly important.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• BTW, Pediasure is exacty the wrong thing for a kid with ADD/ADHD; it is loaded with sugar and chemicals.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I agree with most of the PP, try cutting out lots of different processed foods and certain types of foods, and also there are some great kids Fish Oil supplements out there (Nordic Naturals is good, and they come in a liquid form so it's easier to take). Check out your local health food store, and also look into seeing a more natural doctor if you'd like some more options for your sons health. There are great chiropractors (www.icpa4kids.org), naturopaths (www.naturopathic.org), and osteopaths (www.osteopathic.org) that can help you find more natural/healthy ways to help your son. Good luck.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 6:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Have you talked to your son's doctor about taking him off his meds? I've never given my children meds for their autism, but i would imagine you would wean them off of the med, before supplementing with some herbal or fish oil supplement?!

I would also ask your doctor what the appropriate dosage of supplements should be. I wouldn't rely on information from other moms when it comes to medications or seemingly innocent supplements.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2009