Which would you prefer? Vaginal birth? C-section? and why

my husband wants a csec and i would like to do vaginal! what would you do and why would you do it this or that way??

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just curious why does your dh want a c-sec? I had 2 vaginal deliveries,no c-secs But friends of mine have told me it takes longer to recover from a c-sec. Keep in mind it is surgery.
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I've had both. My oldest son was a vaginal, my youngest had to be a c-section. I healed faster from my c-section, but that was b/c I couldn't take my painkiller with my oldest (my idiot dr prescribed me a painkiller with codiene in it, and I'm allergic). I would rather have vaginal. I wish I'd never had the c-section, b/c I have the scar and the way the stomach never quite goes back to normal. But he was breech, and the way they laid out my other options, the c-section seemed the safest way to go for him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I had a natural childbirth (vaginal, no drugs) and I wouldn't have a baby any other way. I had wanted a home water birth, but assisted homebirths were/are illegal in my state. It's what I wanted, what my husband wanted (because I wanted it), and it felt right to us. I don't see birth as a medical emergency or anything unnatural. I'm babbling now, sorry, I haven't slept in a couple of days.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I had an emergency c because my daughter was breech. I honestly feel that whatever way gets her out and keeps us both alive is the best. Next time, I would like to TRY for vaginal... all natural too but we will see how the baby and I do :)

As for your situation, csection gets the baby out the easiest. The recovery: It took about 3-4 weeks for the incision to close up completely. 20 mos later I still have pain here and there from it and it is completely numb in that spot. But if you can do vaginal, I would go for it!!!! I also didn't know you could ask for a csection instead of vaginal.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have had both and I would rather give birth vaginally. It took alot longer to heal with my c-section and I was in a lot more pain. Not to mention the scar the the belly like tropicalmama said. I didn't have a choice with the c-section. He was breech and his heart rate dropped so we had to do an emergency c-section. Do what you want to do, its your body
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• um...i've had 2 c-sections (19 months ago & 3 weeks ago) I tried to have a vaginal delivery with my second but failed. It was an awful 4 day early labor, it took 5 days for me to dialate from 1 to 6cm and I was ready to push, the pressure/pain was so intense the epidural didn't even numb it at all. Although, it was a scary situation with contractions that were "stronger than pitocin induced" - the midwife said and they were 1 minute long and 1 minute apart for 4 hours straight and my cervix didn't change anymore. By my symptoms (shaking uncontrollably, wanting to push, bulging pressure in rectum, screaming in pain) my midwife said I should have been 8-10cm. Anyway, I'll stop story now...but, even with all that in mind...I wish my body was able to do what GOD intended it. Have a baby vaginally. My husband and I are convinced if there were no doctors to perform c-sections, I would have died trying to give birth.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• No matter how you have your baby, it is still giving birth and you're bringing a child into this world. I would NOT elect to have a c-section if I were you. I developed a high fever, infection and blood in urine from the surgery. Developed a kidney infection too. So, I wouldn't listen to your husband. He's not the one being cut open.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• If you can have a natural (vaginal) birth. It is way better then dealing with the complications of surgery. Surgery can be dangerous. I have to be honest after having an emergency c-section, almost dying twice after the surgery I can't understand why anyone would choose to have their body cut into without it being a medical necessity.

I had to have 18 units of blood and was in ICU twice . . . once for two weeks.   And I spent my first Mother's Day in ICU where I wasn't allowed to be with my newborn baby.

And in my opinion, no doctor should give any one an option of one or the other.   A c-section should ONLY be if it is medically necessary.

TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 4:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I do want to agree with GreekMama . . . without a doctor to perform a C-section both my son and I would be dead. But he couldn't come out any other way.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 4:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I've had both and I would go with a natural (vaginal) birth. Unless the C-section is medically necessary. the body is made for a vaginal birth. My recovery was better, faster, easier. Why would your husband choose to have you go thru a major operation and all the possible complications that go with it? A C-section is still an operation and you get cut open. Only go that route if it's a necessity. The vaginal birth was absolutely the best for me. I was up walking around, practically back to normal life within 2 days. That c-section had me down for over a week and my stomach never recovered. After my vaginal birth, I was back to my shape within 3 months.
    Anonymous