Need some honest advice from Moms who deliver C-Section

Okay. Here's my story....

I have had 3 children cesarean (2003, 2006, 2009). During my last c-section, my doctor told me that now would be a good time to stop having babies. He later explained to me that my uterus may not hold up well during a 4th pregnancy/delivery and I could have placental problems (accreta).

My question is, would you follow doctor's orders and stop now or do you think the doctor was medically obligated to tell me these things?

What would you do?

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 5:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Health

• Like everything else a lot depends on you as an individual. Yes the risks increase for everyone after 3. They increase significantly for some. If you are prone to heavy scar tissue or large adhesions this makes it much more difficult for the Dr and dangerous for you and baby. Your Dr will advise you in a general way, but also in a personal way. If the last one to cut you open advised against it ( and mine did for that and other reasons) I would take that advise seriously. A new baby is a wonderful, joyous occasion. Losing a baby or leaving little ones without a mommy is a risk you have to decide if you and your family can live with.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• ummm... I had a c because my daughter was breech. I have heard issues like the placenta attaching to the scar tissue and such afterwards. We only want two so we would be safe. But I would say if YOU feel you can handle it... then I would go for it! I always felt I know myself better than the dr does and when they give advice like that, it is a high statistic but does not happen to everyone! I think he was saying that to let you know the risks..... prob to advise you to stop. How many kids do you want??? Just wondering!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• He is obligated because it is true some what, you can have up to 5 children through c-section after that it's nearly impossible due to scar tissue. I would stop after 4, I have two through c-section and we're planning on having two more and thats it.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 5:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would get a second opinion and then decide what you are willing to risk which may include your life.

It is true that after each c-section the scar tissue builds up around your organs and makes each subsequent pregnancy more dangerous. So it is something to think about.

Several doctors told me NOT to have another child after my first due to complications that almost killed me. I mean seriously almost killed me . . . I saw a bright white light. However, I did go ahead and do it again . . . just call me crazy. I'm here and my daughter is beautiful. I did first see a specialist for high risk pregnancies before deciding to do it again.

With that said I only had one child and if I had more I wouldn't have taken the chance. I knew after the second one I would NEVER try again. The risk was to great.

Good luck!
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 5:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• He's obligated to tell you that there is a slightly increased risk of complications but he can't tell you to stop having babies. I have a close friend who's mother was told the same thing after3 and she went on to have 7 more for a total of 10 c-sections with no problems. My doctor has not told me there is a certain number he would recommend, I've had 3 (2004, 2006 and 2008) and when I mentioned possibly trying for #4 this Summer he said, "We'll see you in the Fall". So it's up to you to decide if the risks are worth it for you.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• i have had 2 c sections and 4 vbacs since them and i now find myself being told my new dr's that i have to have a c-section but i have never been told i needed to stop having children. i would get a second opinion. i'm sure he had to tell you the risks and that is why i'm having problem getting new dr that is willing to take me on as a risk so far no luck. if your having c sections i'm not sure how much your uterus or placenta plays muc hpart in it since your not putting anymore preasure as if you would pushing through a natural child birth. anyway if you want more and if you keep trying i'm sure you will find a dr that will let you have more. so far i've called 25 dr's and they all won't let me have v back but don't care that it would be my 7th child.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My advice would be to seek a second opinion. Dr.'s tend to err on the side of caution, but if you are getting more than one then you might do well to listen.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My mom had four kids, three being c-section and her uterus is all messed up and stuck against something else (i cant remember the exact words she used).

But, thats just in her case.

If you feel comfortable to haven another, go for it. Maybe there is a way a doctor can check to make sure your uterus is okay.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• What the others ladies have said I will not repeat, they are correct, it is a risk. My concern for you is finding a doctor that will take you on as a patient, a lot wont because of the added risks, the insurance they pay is crazy. If you can find a doctor that will accept you as a patient, and you are positive in your decision to have another one, it is your choice.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2009