Death With Dignity Act (asked earlier in Just for Fun)

I find myself torn on the Death With Dignity Act. I do believe that a person should not have to sit around waiting to die if they have a very very painful terminal illness. However, as a Christian I do believe that suicide is a sin. I know some Christians say that you can ask forgiveness for commiting suicide before you do it, but I'm not sure on that point. However, this story was really touching and I was just wondering how other women feel about it. I asked earlier in Just For Fun but thought this would also be relevent in Religion section.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/50321722.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 5:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why would God want someone to lay around suffering, and have their families watch them suffer? I truly believe there is more than just the strick guidelines of the bible, I am sure God knows and understands that every situation is different. It is not like these people are trying to get away from trouble at school, or work. They have a real reason to want to end their life, and if they choose to do it a little sooner than intendedthen so be it. At least let them do it with dignity and peace! It shouldn't be up to the government to choose for these people, it should be between them and god!

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I honestly feel like if they want to do it they should be allowed. If others find it a sin than others should not do it. It should really boil down to the person who is living it and what they feel.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I completely agree with Passive Euthanasia. I also agree with Active Euthanasia, so long as it is a consensual, informed choice, made by a person diagnosed with a terminal illness who is found competent to make that decsision. Since I cannot live someone's life for them and suffer their suffering for them, who am I to determine for them that they must live and suffer based on my religious views on suicide? Should someone else have to live by my religious views when their views and beliefs are different?

I personally don't think suicide is a sin. Even if I did, my religious views shouldn't trump those of any person, especially not one who is suffering.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• As an Agnostic, I do not see suicide as a 'sin'. I fully support any mentally sound adult to make a decision like that based on their own values and beliefs. Children do get into a more gray area, but I do believe in the child/parent's right to chose in certain situations.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I am in complete support of death with dignity. This is something for people who are looking at a short time (relatively speaking - months or maybe a few years) of pain and agony on earth, with no hope of recovery or escape.These are people who are dying, its just a matter of how long it takes, and I'm in complete support of allowing them a peaceful way out that saves them months of meaningless pain and suffering.
    Are we going to start saying those who have DNR's or who do not take full advantage of the medical field are in a way committing suicide? How about those who smoke, drink, or eat themselves to death? Or those who lose their lives through other acts of carelessness? Where do we draw the line? And is it reasonable to expect that someone who has only a short time of misery see it through? I really don't believe it is.
    We put our animals down, why can't we show our family members the same compassion?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm not Christian, so don't view this as a "sin" really.. actually I'm all for it. I know if I were that woman, I would have done the same. I don't want to be immobile. I want my senses around me when I die. When it's time to die, it's time to die. I don't want to be lying around in a hospital bed until my time of death. Sure I want to see as much as I can while I'm here... but I don't see the need to prolong a death sentence either.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• when you know what your about to do is wrong and you deliberately do it anyway it is wrong that is sinning its self
    waytruthlife

Answer by waytruthlife at 2:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2009