My two male dogs are marking all over my house. Any suggestions to get them to stop?

looselylucid

Asked by looselylucid at 6:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pets

• Neuter them?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• make them wear a diaper-im aware of how crazy that sounds but we used to do it for our female when she went in heat
    Anonymous

• *by the way-there is a dog diaper thing-im not talking about a childs diaper. it really is supposed to help
    Anonymous

• They were both neutered as puppies. They have ample time outside. We've tried using vinegar to cover up the smell so they won't remark the same areas.
    looselylucid

Answer by looselylucid at 6:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• one of our males will pee in the house whenever he doesn't "feel like" going outside. Like when it's raining, or it has rained and the ground is wet, or it's snowing, or it has snow on the ground, ..... you get the idea and he's not a little dog (he's over 50#) but when he's inside he just becomes a spoiled brat! So momma moved his but outside!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 6:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• With two male dogs, there might be competition for the different areas of the house. I know I had that happen with my two female dogs! I would suggest making them stay in an area you can see them in, and watch them for a while. Correct any misbehavior such as marking. You will have to get a cleaner that is specifically for pet urine and male marking. The odor might be masked to us, but it isn't to them! I've never tried vinegar, but if its not working you can use Nature's Miracle, which is awesome for cleaning pet odors! Also, try giving them different "favorite" toys, that they can play with. This will decrease boredom and also give them something else to be territorial about, other than your house! Hope this helps!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 6:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• How old are they? they might not be able to control there self. but i would say there marking territory. If one goes the other will go in same spot or close to it

twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 12:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• They are four years and six years old. Both big dogs (65# and 90#). They've been together since the four year old was a puppy. This just started about a year ago (right around when my son was born) and has progressively gotten worse. We're on the verge of getting rid of them, which of course breaks my heart, I love them both so much. We are just at a loss and can't handle living in a home that smells like dog urine. I like the idea of trying to give them something else to be territorial about.
    looselylucid

Answer by looselylucid at 1:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If you can, can they move to an outdoor kennel or run? You can still bring them in but this gives them other non-marked things to mark. And it gives you some time to clean and air out the house. We had four dogs at on point and even though they didn't mark that I'm aware of, after a few days of rain or bad weather where they couldn't go out as much and the house just got a "Dog" odor to it. Plus, we had dog hair tumbleweeds.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 2:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I have had dogs all my life and when we would have a dog mark in the house, we would kennel them(house train again) Normally that would always work.
    cutemedgirl

Answer by cutemedgirl at 11:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2009