When can you start the rice cereal?

I am just curious, I've heard people on here talking about mixing it with a bottle at night to help baby sleep...I'm ebf but can pump for a bottle....

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Doctors say you shouldnt start ceral until they are 4 months old. But in certain cases they may say to start it sooner. The doctor told my SIL to add a little in my neices bottle to help with her spitting up. I started my son at 1 month to help him sleep threw the night and it worked!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• 4 months old
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 6:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• i started my daughter at 5 weeks.. she's perfectly fine and extremely healthy. =]
    all babies are different, so ask your doctor.
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 6:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• No solids till six months...that includes cereal./ And if they can't take it on a spoon they're not ready.

And contrary to belief...it DOESN"T help them sleep. In fact, we did an online poll on the Breastfeeding Moms group and the vast majority of moms found their babies slept WORSE with cereal. Not better.

They sleep when they sleep. You are guaranteed but three things:

Answer by gdiamante at 7:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Ack,. Hit send too soon.

The three guarantees for moms:

Death.

Taxes.

Never sleeping eight straight hours again.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You "can" do it whenever you want to. It is not recommended to give it until at least 4 months, and then to give it with a spoon.

You cannot MAKE a baby sleep longer than it is going to sleep. You will fill the tummy a little bit with the cereal, and the baby will wake later more hungry than usual because by replacing some of it's usual nourishment with cereal, you have cut it's caloric intake.
    Anonymous

• BF baby...yeah not til 6 months...giving cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard, starting solids before 6 months ruins the virgin gut...BIG deal, read up on it on kellymom in the solids section, allergy risks are raised and did you know that when you add rice cereal to BM and not just a bit of BM to the rice cereal to spoonfeed the cereal will dissolve...the cereal will NOt thicken BM in a bottle unless TONS are added...severe choking hazard. My older 2 kids were FF started solids at 4 months and had rice cereal in a bottle...neither slept til 15 months...my EBF baby had no solids til near 6 months never in a bottle and slept through the night at 5 weeks...all babies are different.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• well my daughter started at 3 months she loved it, and still...
    Anonymous

• both of my kids started rice cereal at about four months. But there are a lot of arguments that baby bellies can't actually digest solids that early. Rather than asking strangers on the Internet, you should probably consult with your pediatrician.
    looselylucid

Answer by looselylucid at 1:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2009