At what age should we let our daughter's start to shave their legs???

Involvedmom

Asked by Involvedmom at 6:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was allowed to at 12. I had a friend though that had black hair and wasn't allowed to until she was 16. She was so embarrassed. I think it depends on your kid and how hairy she is.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my dd is 11 and i let her shave.
    rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I say when they are ready. If the hair on their legs bothers them, girls are picking on them at school etc..they are ready. I cant say when they wont cut themselves with the razor because hell I still do that now LOL. But seriously, when it becomes a problem for them, it is time to let them shave.. We can try to stop them but once they start they will hate it LOL, and wished they didint start so soon. I think that is their choice tho.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I wasnt allowed until I was in 7th grade, but I had very fine blonde hair. My little sister started when she was about 10 years old but she had darker hair! I agree with the above posters, it depends on your child and their hair! I think for younger girls it is a great idea to use veet, they still get "shave" but no chance of cutting them selves!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I agree if your daughter's ask to shave or want to I would think they may be hearing something at school about them not shaving (when I was like 9- we have a hairy family, kids started teasing me and it's stupid, their kids, but other kids are cruel) So if it's causing an issue for them I would say show them how, get them a nice razor they like and that shaves nicely (Venus Breeze as a suggestion) and help them if they need help. None of us "like" shaving. We would all be happier if we just woke up every morning with baby soft legs but they will have to shave sooner or later so you might as well help them now or they will try it by themselves and get cut really bad- i did.

hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 6:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I wasn't allowed till I was eleven, and even then only because my mom saw that a visiting friend had her legs shaved. It was already too late as far as the teasing...I'd been unmercifully teased already in school.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I didn't start til high school, but I didn't have much hair and didn't get teased.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• when she gets hair on her legs. doesn't matter the age.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 10:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I was 11 and had dark hair. Age doesn't matter, it is when the girl feels uncomfortable about having the hair on their legs. I think most are around 12.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I started shaving at 9, I had to my legs were very hairy and my hair was jet black very embarrassing so my mom told me if I could shave successfully without cutting myself then I could continue. It took me 2 hours but I did it, LOL
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009