Are peanuts and peanut butter safe for my (almost) 2 year old?

I know they are high allergy, but if he doesn't develop an allergic reaction, are they otherwise ok??

iluvpink0701

Asked by iluvpink0701 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My son is nearly one year old and because there was no history of allergy to peanuts in our family we give him peanut butter with rice cereal for a snack. It's very healthy for them and he adores it.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 6:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It is ok if he has it a peanut butter is ok just like anything else, in moderation. Peanuts are fine as well but you might be told they are a choking hazard but I let my dd eat them and she is 2 but she was eating them before she turned 2, so I personally dont see anything wrong with it. My dd also loves to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich once in awhile.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• give them a lil bit if u child starts to break out around there face or starts rubbing there face dont give them no more and make a doc apt to make sure they arent allergic......my son was for a lil while and one day he TOLD ME HE WATNED T PB AND J I WAS LIKE OK SO I PUT A LIL ON IT AND he was fine.,...so jsut try a lil at first
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 6:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• As long as he is not alregic then yes thats fine. My friends son was eating peanut butter and jelly when he was about 1 and he loved them it was almost the only thing she could get him to eat. And its an easy think to throw togeather before you have to go somewhere.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My one year old LOVES peanut butter. I would only be concerned if you or the child's father is allergic to peanuts.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 9:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My son was 8 months old when he had peanut butter for the first time and he loved it. Still does and he is 13 yrs old. As long as there are no issues with an allergy, peanut butter is an excellent source of protein. You won't know if he is allergic until he eats peanuts or peanut butter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• its ok & actually pretty good for them too..in moderation plus it helps 'picky' eaters 'cause u can put it on just about anything!!
    compare the oil contents when shopping..some r just too greasy!!
    and its a great 'weight loss' help..snack on it at least 3x's a day..
    even if by just a teaspoon here & there!!
    sheekjustice

Answer by sheekjustice at 12:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I didn't start giving my son peanut butter until he was a year old and loved it and still loves it...if your child is allergic to peanuts/pb you will know right away...that means that he wouldn't be able to have anything that had peanuts in it...but give him a little see if he likes it and isn't allergic to it....peanuts/pb is a good source of protein and is a great snack on crackers yum yum...
    thetrivetts

Answer by thetrivetts at 1:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• As long as you don't have any reason to suspect that he has a peanut allergy, it is fine after they are 12 months old.
    looselylucid

Answer by looselylucid at 1:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I GAVE PEANUT BUTTER TO MY KIDS WHEN THEY WERE 6 MONTHS AT A CHRISTMAS GATHERING. I DID NOT KNOW INTILL I TOOK MY SON TO THE DOCTOR THE NEXT DAY FOR AN EAR INFECTION. THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO WAIT INTILL A YEAR. BUT SINCE THEY HAD IT ALL READY IT IS OK.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 3:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2009