What exactly is gestational diabetes?

I'm 26 weeks and I believe I'm gogin to be tested for it soon but I'm not actually sure what it is.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its the same as regular diabetes but you only have it when you are pregnant. So you would have to be put on a special diet to control your glucose levels. It can be a pain but usually goes away right after you have your baby. And the test is usually done at 27 or 28 weeks.
    Anonymous

• It's just like regular diabetes only prego ladies get it.
    Diabetes has to do with how your body manages the sugar that it takes in. If you've ever known a diabetic, they have to watch their sugar intake (pretty much no candy or any of that good stuff) and they also have to keep their blood levels in check by eating every three hours to make sure their Blood pressure doesn't get too low. They're at higher risks for low blood pressure drops which lead to fainting, and sometimes they can go into "comas" either from too much sugar or going too long without food.
    Anonymous

• gestational diabetes is basically just diabetes during pregnancy. I had it with all 3 of my children and while its not fun, it is managable, you just have to be responsible with it. once you deliver (if you have GD) your diabetes will go away within the 6 week post partum time since its basically the placenta that makes you diabetic. It can be managed with diet (my first two were) or you have to have daily insulin injections usually before each meal but mine were only before breakfast for a while then i did go to dinner insulin about a week before i delivered. don't worry most ladies are usually good :) but please write me if you do have GD and I would be happy to help since i'm an old pro at it!
    3lilgems

Answer by 3lilgems at 6:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Here is a link about gestational diabetes

I had it in one pregnancy.  On #4 now and sugar is fine.

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• well thanks for the advice... i will let you know since if i do, i'll be completely new to it.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2009