Stripping the membranes...

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and had my membranes stripped today at the doc but haven't felt any cramping or contractions or anything. How long before I'll start feeling contractions? Is there anything I can do to help improve my chances of going into labor? I'm already dilated to 2 cm. and ready to have this baby :)

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 6:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sorry to be the one to tell you this, hon, but stripping the membranes isn't guaranteed to work. In fact, I had my membranes stretched with both of my kids (a couple of times each) and it never put me into labor. fact is, that baby will come when he/she is good and ready. And all of the old wives tales (having sex, walking, spicy foods, etc) don't work either. You just have to wait for nature to take its course. Good luck!
    looselylucid

Answer by looselylucid at 6:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I agree.... but you know... walking can help in the fact that it will help the baby drop (walking up stairs or doing monster walks), but it does not put you into labor. Also, having sex with an orgasm will help ripen the cervix, but does not put you into labor again. Just be patient... I know its hard, especially in the summer, but the baby will come soon enough. Also, you don't want the baby to come too soon either. Some babies need extra time in the womb, its always best for the baby to come when he/she is ready :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• i had my membranes stripped yesturday at the doctor and so far i've had nothing but a lil spotting which the doctor said was normal. my doctor told me that if it worked i would go into labor within 24-48 hours and its been 24 hours so far and nothing... so i just to wait it out, i'm 39 weeks and i'm ready to have my baby too...
    froggiedee

Answer by froggiedee at 10:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009