Does the belief in purgatory mean that Jesus death was not enough for us to get to heaven?

I am confused, I was talking to some people recently and they told me I have to go to purgatory when I die. But I always thought that Jesus took on our punishment so if we believe in him we don't get punished. Why do we still have to go to purgatory?

I am scared. I don't want to die, now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Show me anywher in scripture where purgatory is mentioned? It doesn't exist. There are only two choices according to scripture; Heaven for those who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior and Hell for those who haven't. If you have accepted Jesus you have no need to fear.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think erigobrough said it a day or two ago, purgatory is not a place it is a process.
    Anonymous

• Nobody can tell you if you are going to purgatory or not, they don't know, only God does. And Jesus dieing for us was enough for us to get into Heaven, those who do go to purgatory after they die are not stuck there forever, they will absolutely get into Heaven once their souls are purified. Nothing unclean can go to Heaven, so that's what it's for, to be sure that we are pure before we get there. I'm hoping Eringobrough comes in here because she has great resources and explains this well. There's nothing to be afraid of.
    Anonymous

• So I can't be purified by the blood of Jesus, but only by god making me suffer.
    Anonymous

• Who said God was making you suffer?
    Anonymous

• They said it was a place kind of like hell. And you burn.
    Anonymous

• if have accepted Jesus as your savior.. when u die u will be with Him. We will be in His presence. His blood was enough and it was done on the cross.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Purgatory is the condition or process of purification in which the souls of those who die in a state of grace are made ready for Heaven. The Catholic Church gives the name Purgatory to the final purification of all who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified. Though purgatory is often pictured as a place rather than a process of purification, this idea is not part of the Church's doctrine. According to Catholic doctrine, some souls are not sufficiently free from sin and its consequences to enter the state of heaven immediately, nor are they so sinful as to be destined for hell either. Such souls, ultimately destined to be united with God in heaven, must first endure purgatory—a state of purification.
    Anonymous

• ok anti Catholic troll-I suspect I know who you are-what between bird watching adventures you decided to post a question inviting all to bash the question? If you are really interested in the Catholic faith I would recommend you find a Catholic group and allow for question and answers. Or this October sign up for an RCIA class. oh watch EWTN they have a lot of informative programs.
    Anonymous

______
    who said you will be made to suffer? I am not sure what you mean by this, please explain a little more. We clean up spilled milk even though we are sorry we spilled it. We are not ready to sit down at the table with milk all over us. We go through the process of cleaning up the mess.
    Anonymous