Has your baby ever fallen off the bed?

Today was my first real "mommy heart attack" moment. I was nursing my 7 month old in bed early this morning and I guess I fell asleep because all of a sudden a woke up to the most sickening thump on the floor I have ever heard, and then bloody murder screaming. I felt/feel like the worst mother ever for letting it happen, but I am sure that it has happened to a lot of mothers... We took him to the hospital and he is okay - but I am never nursing him in bed again!!! We have a queen size bed and I was as far over as I could have been with him on the inside and he still rolled all the way off... Poor baby!
What falling stories do you have? How did you react?

vdecker

Asked by vdecker at 7:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest fell off the couch when he was three days old. I had been holding him while we slept and I guess I somehow let go. I have never felt so bad in my entire life. I called my mom and she reassured me.
    It has happened with all of my kids at one point or another.
    Anonymous

• both my babies have feel of the bed you would think i woud have learned but i didnt lol.
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 7:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Only people who are very lucky have not had a moment like that!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my dd has fallen off the bed...the couch......you just accept that sometimes there is nothing you can do to stop it.....and comfort them when it does. welcome to motherhood.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have never had that happen, but I also NEVER fall asleep with my son while on the couch or in bed. I just couldn't. He's 10 months now, but for the first 3 months, I would wake up at least once a night thinking I fell asleep with him and would search and search under the blankets for him. It scared me half to death! So, I know I could never co-sleep.

It must be very scary to go through that! I'm glad he's doing all right
    Anonymous

• My DD fell off the couch one morning while my DH was changing her. That was the first time she ever rolled over. Other than that she really hasnt fallen. But a nurse in the ER told me that when his DS was little they co-slept and he crawled down to their feet and the guy thought it was their cat and he kicked and the poor boy went flying on the floor. He felt so bad for it. Thankfully the little boy was okay.
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 7:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Yes, I have and I got such anxiety over it!!
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• well i imagine how scarey this was my son was about 9 months the first time he feel offf the bed......but good news an old wives tell states that a child under the age of 1 that falls out of bed will live a long healthy life! hope its true! i kno it is probably just to make us moms feel better about our babies falling outta bed but it still kinda makes u feel better! LOL
    KeLiStA

Answer by KeLiStA at 7:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• When my son was 9 months old he fell off the bed and our bed is pretty high....he was fine though but i freaked out!
    Kristal430

Answer by Kristal430 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• So far i have not had this happen my son is just over a month old and my husband left him on the couch when iw as at the store and i guess he was movin around and when my husband got out of the bathroom my son was just about to kick himself off the couch but DH got there just in time. But i dont doubt thats its going to happen i sleep with him on the couch all the time so im sure it will happen sooner or later. But i know i will be rushing him to the er just to be safe. Im glad your little one is ok!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009