Mini-Stroke?

Well my brother has been in Iraq and all of a sudden we stopped hearing from him and of course we thought the worse. Sure enough when he finally got in contact with the family he was indeed in the hospital and they said that he has an enlarged heart and they think that he had a mini-stroke. He is not coherent and is now in Germany so needless to say we are not getting any kind of information out of him. So with that in mind I have done as much searching as possible online just to be informed but I was hoping to hear other peoples experience with one. My brother is young 19 and is a Marine sois in great shape. So what could be expected, what could be the causes. It seems as I read that usually it is a result of something else but what? Could it come from working out too much? too hot? I just have no idea. Thanks for any information!!!

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 7:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Health

• A mini-stroke is also called a transient ischemic attack (TIA). There is a temporary loss of blood flow to part of the brain and there are symptoms similar to a stroke. The symptoms go away on their own quickly, in minutes to hours.

If you have a TIA you are at increased risk for a stroke. It's important to try to figure out why your brother had the TIA. Blood clots, clogged arteries, or abnormal anatomy are possibilities. He could be at increased risk of blood clots from sitting in one position for too long, travel, smoking, genetic disorders.

The enlarged heart can be caused by many things. The good news is that it is treatable. It would seem like either of these problems would make your brother not fit for duty. That may be difficult for him.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My grandmother and grandfather both had mini-strokes theirs were from clogged arteries to the brain.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2009