hmmmmmmmm just thought of this...

Isn't it alittle interesting that when anyone talks of The Church they are talking of the Catholic church? What's your opinion on this?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 7:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The word "catholic" means universal. Most people believe that the R.C.C is the original church, but in truth it's a melding of Christianity and Roman paganism. Many of my Catholic friends tell me that belonging to "The Church" means you are saved. The R.C.C. desires to bring all of her errant daughters (Protestant denominations plus the pagan religions) home. That's what I believe based on what I know and see.

*DISCLAIMER: This is not intended as an attack on any individuals.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• When Catholics talk about "the" church, they are in fact talking about what to them is "the" church.

Crud.. I had a whole definition running through my head but I can't remember exactly how it goes. I think Catholic basically means the one church. but I could be wrong.

I'm sure someone who actually knows the answer to this will give a much more full answer.

(I'm not criticizing, I'm just sharing information I have heard or read somewhere a long time ago and don't fully remember)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I agree with the poster above. When I as a born again Christian refer to The Church, I mean all believers in Jesus as Lord and Savior, apart from denominational divisions; The Universal Church, the body of Christ. This is how scripture uses the term. If you want scripture references you can go to Bible gateway and do a key word search using the term church.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I've noticed "The Church" applied to whatever the dominate denomination is in the area. Or to the denomination that most people in the conversation belong to.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I use the term "The Church" when speaking of the Catholic Church as a whole. But I think that's because the Catholic Church is the only one that's really universal, they have their hands in everyone's pockets if you will... Also, because they were the first organized church and are still here, they really are the most "powerful" religious empire in the world... Think about it, if the pope doesn't like you, you are screwed politically.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Okies maybe I asked this wrongly. Whenever I read about the church or hear about it in the news or any media The Church is referring to the Catholic Church. So I was asking on your opinions on why this is so.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I use the term church to refer to all organized religions. If I'm referring to Christianity, I use the term faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• "Okies maybe I asked this wrongly. Whenever I read about the church or hear about it in the news or any media The Church is referring to the Catholic Church. So I was asking on your opinions on why this is so. "

The Catholic Church was established by Christ when he named Peter the first Pope. We can trace the apostleship from Peter down to the present day Pope, Benedict the XVI. That is why even the media refers to the Catholic Church as the Church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i dnt talk about the catholic church, i talk about my church. which is a non-denominational church in dsm, ia called Cornerstone family church. and it is amazing
    Anonymous