Do you encourage your family to give to others?

If you have extra, do you give to those who have none? Or do you teach your kids differently?

CrazyCaliGirl

Asked by CrazyCaliGirl at 7:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• to give
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Yes, I do... I actually grew my hair long and donated it and told my kids about giving and stuff like that.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My family is big so we all pass around the clothes if they are is good condition. We grow extra food in our garden in case there are those who might struggle. We pretty much watch each others back. I teach my kids generosity and kindness.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 7:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Last Christmas my daughter and I went to the mall and they had 1 of those angel trees where you can buy gifts for needy kids. She asked what it was so I explained to her that it was for kids whose parents didn't have money to buy them presents. She did not like that she started crying really bad, and telling me that every kid needs presents. So of course we didn't have the money, but we picked an angel and bought a few toys. We talked about it more on the way home and she said but I get lots of presents right, I said yes, and she said well how about next year we take 1 of my presents and give it. So I said well we could tell everyone in the family to buy a gift for the angel tree, with 1 of the gifts they give you. So on Christmas day at my in-laws she told everyone that next year they would buy 1 present for the tree that was supposed to be hers. Of course she added "I still want presents though",she's not that giving. LOL
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have just noticed there are many mothers on this site who DO NOT encourage it. Alot of women saying that people who dont have anything, deserve what they have.
    CrazyCaliGirl

Answer by CrazyCaliGirl at 8:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Alot of women feel that if you, generalizing, are in a rough spot it is because of poor choices. I had to go on PA last fall because DH got laid off in October. His company shut down and we got lucky in November when DH got a new job. But that whole month that we weren't getting an income set us back so far that we were going to wait until after new years to celebrate x-mas. On dec. 23rd DH went to work and on the breakroom table were gifts for my kids. We never asked for anything and my whole family understood where we were coming from. The guys that DH worked with new a little about his situation and they all decided to chip in and give my kids a Christmas. I was so very grateful. My kids were both under 2 at the time so they wouldn't have known the difference. It is that kink of kindness and generosity that gives me faith in the human spirit. I try to teach my kids to give to others.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 8:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• By the way, it's kind, not kink. LOL
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 8:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Yes,I do,especially at Christmas, we give at least 10 food baskets out,the last 2 yrs. my grandkids saved their money and purschased toys to go in the baskets. This question is so funny, we just went over this very question in Bible-study last night,we learned that you have to pray befor giving,because there are so many scams and people who can take advantage of your giving,also, you must be aware of the same person who is always in need,I didn't know that if you keep giving to the same person,you are really enabling(sp) to fall and not reach their goals.
    Anonymous

• I think its enabling when people come to expect freebies all the time. How does everyone feel about giving a family on the side of the road 5 bucks? I personally see nothing wrong with it, but many people are completely against it.
    CrazyCaliGirl

Answer by CrazyCaliGirl at 9:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2009