were you ever (or still!) a cutter?

I haven't in about 11 years but now at 30 and a mom of 3 I do not own one single teeshirt, as my arm is completely socially unacceptable. I got healed and therapied up but am still paying for it. Everytime it's 100 degrees outside and every time I have an ear infection or something simple and then get a rude 3rd degree and lecture at the dr's office. Want to hear your story/situation

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Health

• I used to cut myself. Sometimes I do get remarks from people- Since I used scissors the scars are.... well very weird. So anyway when people ask about it (usually children) I just say that I got attacked by a wood pecker- and my husband plays along with it and we just make up some elaborate stories.

Anyway, I haven't cut in over 3 years :)

Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• i was after surviving anorexia i use to cut my self on my hands and legs. I still have scars on my hands but not many on my legs no one notices my scars and if they do they dont say antying to me about it i only did it for a couple of years and got help for it and the lingering effects of my anorexia. one of my scars on my hand is my initials mh on the space between my thumband forefinger and yes it was intentional i always cut letters when i cut so people would think i was trying to fit in with the kids i hung out with who were into piercings and tats and what not but really i was cutting and all my friends thought it was cool that i could do that and not hurt but what they didnt know was it hurt alot! but all better now thank goodness. i do still have the urge sometiems but i can control it now!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I was cut free for 14 yrs, and stress (my husband died, then my dad) put me over the edge. Then I was cut free for 2 yrs, and fell again (financial stress). Right now I am at 6 months self injury free. It is more the addiction that keeps you wanting to than anything. I use my scars as a teaching tool for teens that want to cut. Most don't want to go through life with visible scars. I don't have that choice now.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Oh I forgot to mention I am 32.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I used to cut myself when i was 13. Most of it was on my arms and legs, i still have some scarring but not enough to stand out if i wear a t-shirt or shorts. I had a very abusive stepfather who would beat me and my brother for no reason, he wasalso very emotionally abusive he would call us names or act like he was going to hit us and then walk away we just never really knew when it was coming. Cutting myself was a way of healing myself in a way. I always told myself that i would prefer the physical pain over the mental pain anyday. I got help when i turned 15 and went into foster care. I had to see a therapist for a few years but i am completely cured. I think my kids have some to do with that. Since the day i had my kids i thank god i didn't really hurt myself because they are my world and i could never see myself doing that now.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 8:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I cut myself for a while in highschool, I did it up on my shoulders so no one would see it, and thankfully I only have a few scars. I also have some burn scars but not much, I really didn't want to be seen, and my mom found out pretty quickly anyway. I was always a self-injurer, I don't know why. I bit myself from the time I was a year old and never really stopped. I remember getting angry in about 2nd grade and digging my fingernails into the back of my hand and scratching myself as deeply as I could. I would find hard objects and slam them against my head. I always had emotional problems and got frustrated very easily. Teachers couldn't stand me because I would cry in school everyday over every little thing all the way up to 6th grade. I have no idea why. I was in therapy for a while after I cut myself in highschool. I don't know if it helped or not. I don't cut now, but I still don't know how to deal with frustration.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I had a very abusive family life growing up & used to not exactly cut myself deep but scratch myself w/ like safety pins. I liked the burning pain rather then the cutting pain so I would scratch for long periods of time all over my arms. This left me w/ very little scars. I got over that stage mainly b/c I cut off ties w/ my mother 6 years ago & havent spoken to her since.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Being a survivor of sexual and physical abuse I did cut for a while because I wanted to feel. I now have had a nervous breakdown and started cutting again but haven't in like a year. I get this urge to when I'm really upset. It's still a struggle for me.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I don't do it as much as I used to. Only like 3 or 4 people actually know where my scars came from because I have most of them on my legs, so no one ever saw any except the lesser ones on my arms. Mine started when my parents started abusing me (in every way you can be abused, pretty much) and my bipolar kicked in. I almost killed myself a couple of times, accidentally, trying to kill the pain.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I used to cut and I did it on my stomach area and very upper thighs. I wear long shirts that cover my belly and while swimming I wear a one piece and board shorts. I did it from 13-17 and am now 32 and haven't done it since 17 years old. I have considered it a few times, but have not done it yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009