DO you think legalizing marijuana(or any drug for that matter) would increase it's use or the number of intoxicared drivers?

Why do you think that? Do you have any studies or proof that that has been the case in places where it's legal? Are you or anyone you know of just waiting for mj to be legalized to you can party and drive?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ugh *Intoxicated*

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Even if it were legal, it would still be illegal to drive under the influence. The Rx told me that if I drove on flexeril that I could get a ticket, what would make pot any different?
    Anonymous

• I think the people that don't smoke do so because it is their choice. I know personally if it was legalized I still wouldn't smoke it. I know it impairs my ability to reason while operating a car or caring for my child. Just because it is legal doesn't change the effects it has on you while you are under the influence.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 8:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I ask because every time an mj question comes up people say they don't want it legal because everyone will be stoned and lazy or there will be more wasted people on the road. I'm just curious where they get this idea.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• If they legalize it would put drug dealers out of business (I thinks thats what the FBI as been trying to do for years), they can tax it and pay off the countrys debt. But no don't legalize it that would be to logical. As for the intoxication issues, it won't be any different than it is today.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think it should be treated exactly like alcohol. Smoke and drive, you get a ticket, you know? If it were made legal I might TRY it, but I wouldn't become a total pothead like most of my friends. And I wouldn't even consider driving while "under the influence," I have a daughter to take care of.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Ahhh, patience in a plant... ;)

It's decriminalized here, but still not necessarily legal... You will be fined and have it confiscated, but it's only $100 and no jail time...

It would end up being just like alcohol... I'd prefer it over alcohol any day. You can go out and get drunk every night and still get a job, but you smoke and you'll be fired or unable to find a job if you have to pass a test. Ridiculous. Anyone who says it's addictive is lumping it in with other drugs, such as "my brother is addicted to pot!" Yeah, I doubt that. Highly. There's either another drug in there somewhere, or your brother would be a lazy fuck even WITHOUT it.

nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 8:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Legality has no bearing on people's choice to do drugs. I don't know anyone praying for herion to become legal so they can shoot up, and anyone I know that would smoke pot of it were legal already does!

The laws that deal with alchol would probably apply to MJ as well. How many drunk drivers are there out there today that kill people? I've never heard of anyone smokin some MJ and killing someone.....

The law or government should not be able to dictate what you put in your body, even if its bad for you. It only puts law enforcement in a bad spot with trying to put that genie back in teh bottle
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I ask because every time an mj question comes up people say they don't want it legal because everyone will be stoned and lazy or there will be more wasted people on the road. I'm just curious where they get this idea.-----------------------------------------------------------------

Graduates of DARE, listened too much to Nancy Regan's JUST SAY NO campaign. Too much watching of Reefer Madness. The stupid PSA on tv and the radio...
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• lol, I wouldn't have a problem with it being legalized. You know that concept when you're under 21 and you drink, because "you know you are not suppose to" and the risk factor is high. The risk involved in doing something that you are not "allowed" to dois thrilling and is one of the reasons why alot of people do the "bad" things they know are illegal when they do them. By legalizing it, it would decrease that thrill. When I was younger I drank and hid it, after I turned 21 though I really didn't have much of a want to drink except at social gatherings. After I had children my want to drink occasionally faded away as well, because I never wanted to be impaired around my children in the event that something would come up and they would need me to my full 100% mommy-ness. So now I do not drink at all, and I am fine with it. I smoked when I was younger too, a grew out of that though and never looked back. (continue)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009