The sex talk... Anyone know of any books geared toward kids?

My son is 9 years old. His little sister (age 4) has been asking a lot of questions about babies, and my son is now saying he wants to know how babies are REALLY made. So, it's time for "The Talk".

We want to get him a book, made for his age, to help us explain things, and to have for him to look at on his own in case there is something he is too embarassed to ask. DH and I thought we would know exactly what to say and we have found how completely inept we really are.

Does anyone know of a book like this? And when you had "The Talk" with your son, what did you say and how much did you tell him? I have searched online but only found books made for adults. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!

sahmomof2

Asked by sahmomof2 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter borrowed a book from the library called "asking about sex and growing up" by joanna cole and she found it very informative and has information about girls and boys and presents it in a very no threatening or frightening manner i read it through too and i found it very easy to read and understand. there are a few non graphic hand drawn pictures of the femal and male genitalia but other than that its strictly reading it was very helpful for us cause even though we ahve been having this talk for a while now she apparently had questions that she wasnt sure how to ask and this book covered it for her i hope this helps you
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Thank you! That sounds exactly like what I have been looking for!
    sahmomof2

Answer by sahmomof2 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Why don't you talk to them? Brush up on your facts and start some dialogue.

Giving your kids a book is good because it gives them factual information, and they need to be able to reference that. But only giving them a book to read for themselves sends the message that sex, puberty, and relationships are shameful and should not be discussed.

I'd encourage giving them books for reference, but discussing them often. Maybe assign a chapter per week and discuss it together afterwards.

Be openminded and listen.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• "Where Do Babies Come From?" by Ruth Hummel in the Learning About Sex...A Series for the Christian Family. (Ages 6 to 8) I'm sure you could stretch it a little. Concordia Publishing House
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 11:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I don't know of any books but my kids boy 12, girl 11. Like the tv show (Secrate Life of American Teenager.) short verson about a girl, has sex for first time, get PG, still in high school...) might help. My kids already know where babys come from and how.. ( they thought male dog was fighting with female dog. dog got fat then they watch her have puppys and they were like groosss...
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 9:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• That Secret life is a HORRIBLE show - don't let them watch THAT! (I saw the first episode and then happened to catch an episode a week or two ago when I was waiting for something to come on after that. They said the word "sex" like every two seconds and supposedly in that episode the FATHER asks HIS SON for a condom. Sounds kind of messed up, especially after reading comments on IMDB about it.

That "Where do Babies come from?" set has both girl and boy versions and has like 4 different books, one for each age range, telling age appropriate info.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all! I fully plan on having an open discussion with him, but wanted an age appropriate book as well, just to "help" as far as how much we should discuss. I will be checking out the "Where do babies come from?" series!

Wish me luck! LOL
    sahmomof2

Answer by sahmomof2 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Yes the library is great. I was just there yesterday. They have some for moms, dads, and some for kids in their area. GL
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 1:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009