Should John Ensign resign?

The scandal has also touched Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), another prominent conservative, who revealed that he had confronted Ensign about the affair and urged him to end it, but says he will refuse to divulge any conversations with Ensign — even under inquiry from ethics investigators.

On Thursday, Ensign's attorney said that the senator's parents gave Doug Hampton, Cynthia Hampton and their two children gifts worth $96,000 in the form of a check. The attorney, Paul Coggins, said that each gift was limited to $12,000 and "complied with tax rules governing gifts."

The disclosure of the April 2008 payment seemed intended to head off growing questions about whether Ensign violated federal law by failing to report what Doug Hampton called a severance package worth more than $25,000 to his wife Cynthia, who left Ensign's campaign staff on April 30, 2008.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24748.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The sex scandal has already cost Ensign his position as the No. 4 Republican in Senate leadership and ended any hope he had of pursuing the 2012 GOP presidential nomination.

Hampton said that Coburn and other peers were involved in talks to urge Ensign to pay Hampton for the damage he caused his family - including potentially giving him "millions" of dollars. Coburn has denied the charge.
    "This was at the request of Tom Coburn and some people to try and help them manage John," Hampton said Wednesday of the talk about payments, which he said were necessary because Ensign continued to "pursue" his wife and left his family in financial shambles.

"I didn't talk to John Ensign personally at all. Our attorneys did talk. Our attorneys absolutely talked, because Senator Tom Coburn asked and was involved in these negotiations out of good will and good faith," Hampton said earlier in the broadcast.

Read more: http://www.po
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Sure...thought Clinton should too. I wonder if YOU think he should resign. If you are busy with all this extra curricular stuff and don't have the control or the ethics to keep your oaths in your personal life to those you claim to LOVE, how on earth can you be expected to keep an oath to a general public of strangers.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Yes.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 8:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Maybe my question SHOULD have been

WHAT THE F IS WRONG WITH THESE MEN IN POWER?????

I would like Edwards, Vitter, Craig, Sanford, Clinton, Gingrich...ALL sit down on national tv and answer why are they such F ups??????????????? Bad enough to cheat, but the other stuff is WORSE!!! Lying, bribing, humiliating your family........W H Y !! ! ! !
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

The words in blue are exactly what Sanford expressed about Clinton..but he did the same thing....WTF????? I just don't understand, its that hard to NOT cheat???

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• How freaking awkward, what did he say to his parents??? umm, Mom Dad....yea, so I banged our long time family friend...you know her right well, can you pay them $100,000!!!! WHO does that????

This is NOT party specific, they ALL suck and they ALL have similiar scandals. This stupid idiot brought his parents into it AND other government officials.....HOW F'ING selfish and stupid!!!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It seems to me that as soon as you cheat on your spouse that your word is no longer trustworthy. People should stand behind thier word at all times and that should be a way in which to judge a persons character. I agree, if you can not keep a oath that you made to someone that you "love" how can you keep your word to a bunch of strangers.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well my former Governor, Client Number 9 did.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 9:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

I forgot Spitzer (im assuming thats who you are referring) to my list of scum bags... Edwards, Vitter, Craig, Sanford, Clinton, Gingrich

Anyone else we can add??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Edwards HAS to be at the top of the scumbag list....his wife is dying of CANCER and he cheats....can you get any lower then THAT!! OMG....and I actually liked the guy for a while :(
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009