I'm nervous that my milk is going to dry up now that I'm on the mini-pill...

I know it usually won't affect it, but I'm on day 4 of it and my 6 week old has been fussy today and all of a sudden I got worried that maybe my milk is drying up and she's hungry! If that was happening she would cry/fuss during her feedings right? Has anyone ever had this problem with the minipill? I realize I'm probably over-reacting, but i'm a first time mom - what do you expect :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 weeks is a growth spurt. Nurse on demand and count diapers. You want 6-8 wet and/or dirty in a 24 hour period
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• If you think you might not be producing enough milk, CHECK! When she starts to fuss and pulls off the breast, give your nipple a squeeze and see the milk flow. I'm sure its fine, and you're just worrying, its the thing moms do best!!
    BabyPmakes3

Answer by BabyPmakes3 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• The Mirena isn't SUPPOSED to dry up milk, either. Or cause any of the many various problems I've had since I got it, but there are thousands of reports about negative side effects that doctors don't want you to know about. I'm not trying to scare you! Most women (or at least that's what I'm told by other moms) don't have any problems with their milk. If you do think your milk is drying up, there are tons of tips for boosting your supply. Just keep a close watch on it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• could you try a non-hormonal method? BFing reduces the chances, but VCFs (Vaginal Contraceptive Films) are effective and sold in stores.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009