Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is 27 months and still mummbles alot. He only know like 10-12 words... Sometimes he has a hard time saying the first letter of the words. What do i do?


Asked by Serenityc21 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Talk to your pediatrician, what he will first have you do it get his hearing checked. And having his hearing checked won't be to see if he can actually hear but how he hears the sounds? For instance some little ones with terrible allergies have water on their ears and hear sounds incorrectly so they recreate them that way.

    If hearing is okay then find a speech therapist as soon as possible. The best thing to do is call the school district you live in and ask about their program and about getting him tested. Most school districts have programs for children even before they start school. My daughter is three and we see a speech therapist for free through our school district. My son is also in speech therapy and let me tell you get help as quickly as you can. It does make a different for them later . . . like when they start school. Good luck!

    Answer by TessLouise at 8:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • ask your pediatrician to refer him to a speech pathologist - if your doc thinks it's necessary. Good luck!

    Answer by stepmom929 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • Sounds like my nephew which turned out perfectly fine. But you can check if you are worried.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • get a speech evaluation, most likely offered free in your state. He will be fine, my daughter has been in speech since two, and now she never shuts up lol

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • Check with your family Dr. .... contact your local school, at the age of 30 mo most schools are to find children in their school district and do an early childhood screening... this will help you get assistance from the school when your child turns 36 mo... that is how our state works... we also have a program called "First Steps" you should have something like it too... they will find the children that need some help before the age of three.... KEEP up with this... your window of opportunity in language is 3-4 years and then you will have to work even harder to get him caught up... we also have a Parents As Teacher program in ever school in our state to help find these children and do early intervention...

    Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • well he can go to a speech therapist.

    Answer by lawla at 9:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • thanks everyone!

    Answer by Serenityc21 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • from experience see an ENT and make sure there is no airway obstruction from tonsills and adenoids. when we realized that my son had 75% blockage and his T&A were removed, i literally saw a drastic change in his speech. he could actually talk. then get a hearing test. let them refer you from there.

    Answer by ssnelson26 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • well he has tubes in his ears at 11 months. he had his adnoids removed at the same time. he can hear very well. I'm actually thinking, how is he hearing it now..u-know

    Answer by Serenityc21 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2009