what is your defninition of an alcoholic?

id describe it as someone who literally wakes up in the morning and starts drinking, and not finishing until they go to bed. every day of the week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When drinking has interrupted their life, family, job.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• someone addicted to alcohol
    Anonymous

• A person who needs to drink everyday. Or in excess frequently. I don't think it's a morning, noon and night thing. Just that need to drink.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 8:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I don't think they have to be drinking all the time to be an alcoholic. I think it's someone who can't resist it. Someone who drinks and then can't remember what they did, ever, or blacks out, or it completely changes their personality. I also think it can be genetic. My boyfriend's bio dad is an alcoholic, and my boyfriend called me up one night, drunk and acting like a completely different person than the man I've always known. He's stopped drinking for me, he goes to AA, but it is a daily fight for him. And he never drank every day. He would buy a 12 pack, usually once a month, and drink it for one weekend, for example. I also think someone who feels the need to drink 5 or 6 beers every single day after work can qualify as an alcoholic or who responds to the slightest of problems with "I need a drink" and isn't joking. There are a lot of ways to describe an alcoholic, I think. You recognize one when you see one, I guess.
    Anonymous

Dito
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Yes that is a good description but you can still be an alcoholic if you drink only in the evening everyday or even 4 days a week. There are some alcoholics that have set times they drink and some dont. I guess you can tell I have been to AA!lol A alcoholic is someone who is dependent on alcohol to escape reality or life its self. If you know somebody try to help them because it gets to be a sad sight my step mom tried so many times to get help but failed every time. I hated her when she was drunk but loved her when she was sober than felt so sorry for her. She drank so much one night she ended up in another city and got hit on a main Hwy and died. Alcohol is a drug and can be fatal to some people.

Anonymous

• when they cant and wont put it down especially if three days go by and they vomit.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Take an alcoholics beer away for a week. You will know if they are by the withdrawl.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• When someone starts drinking and can't stop. Doesn't have to be everyday but every time they pick up a drink they drink to excess!

All of the answers are good and describe different kinds of alcoholics. Someone can be a functioning alcoholic where it doesn't necessarily interrupt their life.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• abellvalerie When drinking has interrupted their life, family, job. Dito

BOTH OF YOU ARE WRONG THE REASON WHY I SAY THIS IS MY FATHER WAS ACHOLIC AND HE WORKED A STEADY, PAYED ATTENTION TO HIS FAMLY, AND DIDN'T LET BEER GET IN HIS WAY OF HIS SOCIAL LIFE. I AM NOT PROUD OF HIS ACHOLISM BUT I AM PROUD TO SAY HE WAS SOBER FOR TWO YEARS PRIOR TO THE MOTORCYLE ACCIDENT THAT KILLED HIM. AND NO HE WASN'T DRUNK, HE WAS SOBER HE QUIT. ALSO MY FATHER-IN-LAW IS A ACHOLIC BUT ALWAYS WORKED 60+ HOURS A WEEK AND STILL HAD A FAMILY LIFE. SO ANYWAYS.. ACHOLICS DO STILL WORK, HAVE FAMILIES TO SUPPORT. THANK YOU♥

r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009