Motivating a 7 year old boy to do math over the summer?

He is borderline needing to repeat the level so I want to practice with him but am finding him to be totally unmotivated. He just slaps it down to get by and doesn't really try. I am afraid I am making him dislike it more. I have two other children so he has time to play in the morning and I just started trying to work on it while my toddler naps in the afternoon. So that the preschooler isn't playing or making him jealous, I'm getting him to do a Kindergarten practice book at the same time. Does anyone have any ideas for motivating him and making this more fun? Thanks for your thoughts!!

RCAbmom

Asked by RCAbmom at 8:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what my sister does if her son reads for an hours a day she pays him a dollar so at the end of the week he makes five buck,
    maybe you can try some reward system that that he likes
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I homeschooled my grandson and I incorporated math into daily living. That works best for me. You sort of sneak it in on them! When he was older he didn't want to do percentages and thought he'd be a smart alec and tell me he didn't need to know % to sell drugs (yeah, like that was really his goal in life but being a teen he thought he'd rattle me). Without batting an eye or reacting the way he wanted me to in shock, I say oh yes you will. You will want to advance to being a large distributor and need to know your cut as well as the cut (%) you give to others. He decided % was important so we went ahead with learning them! lol He is now an adult and no he doesn't sell drugs for a living but knows his %! Just make it fun and pertain to something he's interested in (number of movies times how many days a week he gets to watch movies or subtract the movie titles he owns from the ones that are for the entire family.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• There are a lot of real-life applications for math. Figure out what he likes-- movies, tv, favorite character?

i.e. tv
    A cable company offers 50 channels for $19.99 a month, 75 channels a month for $29.99, and 150 channels for $49.99. What is the best deal and why?

Elmo

Elmo likes to bake cookies and is going to bring enough cookies for each of his friends to have 2 at a party. If there are 6 people at the party, how many cookies will Elmo need to bring?

Just some ideas.

My mom sent me to summer school every year to keep up my math skills. The best classes turned it into a game. Math is about thinking logically and having a basis for the result. So while it's important to understand the numbers, it's also important to have an overall appreciation for process.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Bribe him...........I like the dollar a sheet idea :).  Money talks lol Or mabey a bigger reward when he gets the book done. 

Also dont have the sit down time to long.  20 minutes is a longgggggg time for a 7 year old.  Perhaps break it up during the day.

Mabey do it two or three times a week instead of every day. 

Make a game of it.  Does he like basketball, ring toss, catching a baseball?  Have him keep track of how many he misses compared to what he makes. 

Tell him you are going to the beach and have him do addition/subtraction in the sand. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I bought a workbook and I give them game time(video games) for working in their books.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Challenge him. He's probably bored. Show him how math applies to daily life. Do math without him knowing you're doing math.

What is his learning style? Concentrate on putting everything in his style so he can actually "get" it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Does he liek the computer? There's tons of free stuff online for math practice.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thanks for the awesome ideas everyone!!! I REALLY appreciate it and can't wait to try them!!!! :)
    RCAbmom

Answer by RCAbmom at 9:18 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Try www.coolmath.com It is a math website that is like a videogame. My friends son loves it and helped him get an A in math for summer school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Great ideas. As a former teacher, rewards work great at that age. Ex. Dollar store items, picking a movie to watch, going to playground, fav restaurant, etc. Also have u considered a tutor? I would be willing to help u find one if u would like. Pm if ur interested or would like more ideas. Gl
    shajdinyak

Answer by shajdinyak at 9:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2009