How to discipline outside the home?

My DS is 16months old and is becoming a real handful. At home everything is baby proofed so he can basically go and do as he feels but the problem arises when we are in other people homes that are not baby proofed. He tries to get into everything because of course he is curious but I can't let him tear up things that do not belong to us. So my question is how can I discipline him at home that will work for when we are in others homes? I don't want to put restrictions on him at home because I want him to feel like he is at home and can do whatever but obviously this method is going to end up biting me in the long run. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would still discipline at home when it's warranted like the stove or breakables, the child proofing shouldn't be a free pass for not teaching him right from wrong because like you are discovering it becomes a problem later. Good Luck, it's a wonderful ride!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• At that age, I always did lots of re-directing at other people's houses, and didn't take my child places where the home owners weren't willing to accept he was only 16 months. I never got to just sit and visit when my son was that age, I was constantly following him around from room to room, saying no touch please and re-directing him somewhere else. I made sure to bring lots of his toys with us, and a baby gate if it was going to be a long visit. Some of my friends houses were built in a way I could gate my son in the room we were in. Really at that age he's not going to understand that he can't touch something, you can say no till your blue in the face and the comprehension just won't be there because he's not old enough. Just surround yourself with kid friendly people, and when re-directing, gently say something like "that's not yours (child's name)" or "Child's name, no touch please" and give him his own toy.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You really should create some "no no" areas/objects in yout home, so he has a chance to practice learning boundaries. From the way you describe your home, he is the "king of the castle". If he can do whatever he wants IN his home, how will he ever learn that he can't do the same OUTSIDE of the home?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009