this is going to sound stupid, but I am a new parent and trying to figure the best way to sleep having a newborn. When do you put the baby to sleep in the bassinet? She sleeps a lot late at night with us in the living room and I am not sure when to put her in the bassinet. Also, do you always play music when you put newborns in the bassinet? Do you ever let them sleep on their bellies? We always have her sleep on her back. I know you girls are much more experienced than I am :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we always had the bassinet in the living room and even rolled it into the bedroom later at night. They tend to feel cozy inside there whereas the baby bed is large and I think they feel the coldness since they are used to the close space in the womb. When they outgrew the bassinet then I let them go into the bed. Back in the olden days they told us to lay them on their belly to keep them from choking if they spit up. Now I hear they changed that. I still put my grandbabies on their belly. Rotating positions helps round their head. Leaving them on their back all the time flattens their head. You will be a great mom.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• you can put her in the bassinet anytime, I always play light music 4 my baby, you can put her on her belly but not to sleep and when you do put her to sleep make sure you move her head from one side to another and prop it with like a receiving blankey so she don't get flat spots
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• i put my baby to sleep with music everynight. it depends how old they are if they can sleep on there stomach. they are not suppose to sleep on there stomachs if they cant lift there head good because they can suffocate themselves. mine only sleeps on her back.
    Anonymous

• You should make a set bedtime for her like 900pm and put her in the bassinet than. You can still have the bassinet in the living room with you when you are in there and when you go to bed just move it in there ( I'm one of those parents who wont let my new born out of my sight due to my baby turned blue at 6 weeks, she had sleep apnea and had to be on a machine for a year)! I always have a set bed time for my kids and started when they were babies so as they grow you will have them on a schedule and they know what to expect getting older. And no you don't have to play music when they sleeping. I never did ( well maby sometimes). And you are not suppost to put babies on their belly's until they can roll over their selves and hold their head up well. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask. You will do great.

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my son started sleeping in his bassinet at night when he was about 6 weeks old. The only reason he didn't start sooner is because he wouldn't sleep anywhere but my chest until then. He had no problem sleeping in it during the day though. Also, they tell you to only let them sleep on their backs, but my son wouldn't sleep like that either. He has always slept on his stomach even to this day. For the first week or so I only put him on his stomach during naps && checked on him constantly. He would move around but never stayed face down. So once I was convinced that he wouldn't smother himself in his sleep I started letting him do it at night.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I always put my baby's on their side but I would roll up blanketsand put one in the front of her and one on her back side and made sure that they could not come undone ( which when they are real small they don't move much) and were tightly rolled that way if she spit up she would not chock and could not suffocate herself. Good luck

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• #1 was my only back sleeper. #2 and #3 were tummies from birth (#2 because of severe reflux)

I had cradle in our room by the bed, then when they hit 6weeks or so into their own rooms in cradle (except #3 as we were in a new house and her room was right beside the master so she was in her own room in a week or so)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• oh, and none of mine liked music of any kind.

but as bitty babes I'd only really put them to bed bed when we went to bed.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• we didn't use a basinette much. Our baby was very sick and would only sleep in his swing. But you can use teh basinette from birth up until they are sitting up or have outgrown it. As far as music goes do what works best for your baby. as a little baby my son liked womb sounds. he had a womb bear and then we bought him the cd called the happiest baby on the block by dr. harvey carp (this is an absolute life saver!) he listened to that till he was about 5 months old. Then he listened to a lullaby cd for a month or so and after that he preferred to sleep with just white noise (we run a fan) follow your babys cues he'll let you know what isn't working. And to sleep you are always always always supposed to put them on their backs, they wont get a flat head if they get lots of tummy time and rotate the position of their head when you lie them down
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We started off co-sleeping with our son, but 10 days in the hospital sort of "crib trained him." After his 8 or 9pm feeding when he falls asleep, we usually put him in the Moses basket in the living room while we watch tv. After his next feeding around 12am, I swaddle him and put him in the pack n' play which is in our bedroom. He sleeps there until he stirs for his 5 or 6am feeding. Sometimes when he stirs, I bring him back into the bed with me, as that usually buys me another 30 precious minutes of light sleep until we get up. My son doesn't get music and he seems fine with that, we have a sound machine so sometimes he gets womb noise if he is fussy. And very rarely does he want to sleep on his stomach.
    KarenAmbrose

Answer by KarenAmbrose at 10:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009