how does one become a god parent?

i told my mother today what ive been looking into and what ive considering...

. for those that dont now recap..im a spiritual woman, ive ventrued into just about everything and ive heavily debating converting to catholicism. i ma spiritual mut in my beliefs but they grasp it for the most part.

anywho i tell my mom...and she is super happy im gonna get baptized and all that which is weird coming from a non church going woman. then she asks if she can be seraphims god parent...

how does one become the god parent? is their something i have to do specific? how does this work?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• its not supposed to be a parent... usually the god parent will be present at the baptism and they take responsiblity of being the "spiritual parent" they are there to be support in a rough spiritual time and provide guidance. I would talk to the priest that will be baptising you and he should be able to have all the extra info that you may need..
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• so her grandma cant be her god parent? i dont get why you said it cant be a parent. its her grandma, ive heard of grandparents doing it before
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• sighs. thats impossible. we'll be living in europe , were army.
    moki1984

• she wont be their
    moki1984

• When my kids were born, I asked some very close friends to be their God-parents. When they were dedicated, the God-parents stood up with us as a sign they would support our beliefs and what the kids were taught. Hope this helps
    GiGito1SoFar

Answer by GiGito1SoFar at 9:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Your mom can only be a Godparent if she is a practicing Catholic. Many churches will let her stand at the alter and be an honorary Godparent. If she is Catholic but not practicing, tell her to start going to church.
    Anonymous

• my parents are all my children's Godparents
    Anonymous

• we know no one that is catholic....at least not yet heh.

and we dont have anyone else but her. she has no interest to attend church......i dont know if she would
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• the church will give you a Godparent. I know there were a few in the RCIA classes going against their family's wishes converted. Members of the church stepped up and sponsored them.

When you get to Germany see if any of the military people are Catholic. Once upon a time, Germany was filled with Catholics.
    Anonymous

• so waht does that mean if someone that you just met and will move away from and never see again in the military becomes your childs god parents?

seems almost...odd to me. cuase it snot like were going to stay their and get to know these people who will be her god parent....we leave germany in 3 years and who knows where we get stationed or they get stationed
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009