How can I get my toddlers to stop fighting?

breannamdillon

Asked by breannamdillon at 9:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stay consistent and discipline.

Anonymous

• I agree. When you see this fighting behavior, stop it immediately. Remove the child from the situation, put the child in a timeout (usually 1 min for every year), once the time out is over, explain to your child that fighting is not allowed, if they are fighting with each other, make them kiss or hug and say sorry. If your children have trouble with time outs, keep at it, it will get easily, and if you do this each and every time you see this behavior, it will not be so often. hang in there!
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my mother "wouldnt let" my sister and me be in the same room together for what felt like weeks (if I remember correctly it was a week) we were isolated and found out fast that we liked playing together more than alone. then if we fought after that she would ask if we would rather be by ourselfs. if either one said yes we would be in our rooms again. worked great!
    Anonymous

• I'm the opposite. I let my boys just fight it out. (They've never gotten really violent, that I would have stopped). The fighting all the time lasted about a week, then they had things worked out, and had decided fighting wasn't as fun as playing, now they play nicely together. I let my boys learn from natural consequences as much as possible.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My mom used to just say "play nice". Then if that didn't work she'd tell them if they didn't play nice they couldn't play together anymore for a while. If that didn't work then she separated them. Most kids don't want to be separated from a playmate.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2009