How much should he be eating?

My son is a month old and the doctor told me that he should be eating 18oz a day of formula. Well my son is eating 4ox every 4 hours and at least once a day i have to make another 2oz because he is still hungry. Is it normal for him to be eating this much? he eats 26oz a day and he is just over a month old. He was also 6 weeks early if that makes a difference.

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 9:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hey if he is hungry feed him. Every baby is different and they will go through growth spers!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think your doctor means at least 18oz a day. If you child is holding down his formula without any problems, i wouldn't be concerned. And considering your baby was 6 weeks early, it's probably not a bad thing that he is eating more than advised.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my son ate 6oz when he was about a month old he is know 5 months and eats 8oz yeah i was feeding him 6oz every 4 hours....he slept longer had a full bellie......as long as baby is not spiting a lot of it up give him more at a feeding it aint gonna hurt him every baby is different i have two boys my oldest was eating 6oz at 4 months it just depends on what the baby wants
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 9:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009